What's new
What's new

Hilpipre Machine Shop Auction, Iowa, Gray Planer

Robert Lang

Stainless
Robert,

Thank you for posting that. I'm 30 hours away in car travel but would love to have that Gray planer. A Google Earth view of the shop is interesting..a newer metal building sitting in a grass lot with a boneyard out front. I would love to know who his customer base was in that area, lots of machinery to support something.

Stuart

Here is a Hilpipre auction near Waterloo, Iowa on February 23.

Hilpipre Auction Company | Machine Shop Auction - Machinery equipment, 20 Ton unused steel, tooling, and general shop equipment lots

A number of interesting items.

6 foot Gray planer.

Rockford openside planer.

Juengst shaper.

Hendey 12 inch shaper.

Two old belt drive lathes. One is a Barnes.

I will let someone else upload pictures.
For some reason this site is not letting me do it.

Rob

If anyone is going to preview items, I'd be interested in hearing about some of the machines... anyone going? I'm too far away to go look.

-Phil

Well crap, looks like I have to bid. The one machine I want is in there. And it's not terribly far

Sent from my rotary dial flip fone

I couldn't find any info on the machine shop. It sure looks like it had been closed up for a number of years.

Many machines have their paint peeling and it has fallen off on the floor.
Does that mean the shop was been unheated for many years ?
You usually see paint peeling like that on machines in abandoned buildings.

I have an SIP just like the blue one. All the blue paint fell off ! ! ! ?

Also noteworthy, is the G&L #30 HBM.
In the literature I have found, no mention of a #30.
I have a #25T G&L, so I kinda look at G&L machines
whenever I see them. That #30 machine is small like
my #25T, but has the larger head casting and wide
flat ways like their #300 series of HBMs. I do not
know if this is a rare machine, but I have never seen
a #30. It is such a stout machine in the small envelope.
Very impressive to me. Anyone know about this ?
Just a general interest. I am happy with my #25T.

--Doozer

I couldn't find any info on the machine shop. It sure looks like it had been closed up for a number of years.

If you look at his obit you'll see that he died at the ripe old age of 90...just about 1 month ago. He had 3 daughters and only one son so there seems to have been little interest in the machine shop. There is a lot of nice old stuff in there if you're into old stuff...I certainly am!:)

Stuart

Many machines have their paint peeling and it has fallen off on the floor.
Does that mean the shop was been unheated for many years ?
You usually see paint peeling like that on machines in abandoned buildings.

I have an SIP just like the blue one. All the blue paint fell off ! ! ! ?

Also noteworthy, is the G&L #30 HBM.
In the literature I have found, no mention of a #30.
I have a #25T G&L, so I kinda look at G&L machines
whenever I see them. That #30 machine is small like
my #25T, but has the larger head casting and wide
flat ways like their #300 series of HBMs. I do not
know if this is a rare machine, but I have never seen
a #30. It is such a stout machine in the small envelope.
Very impressive to me. Anyone know about this ?
Just a general interest. I am happy with my #25T.

--Doozer

I'm not really conversant with " G&L " Hor bores, especially the old ones, but that machine appears to have an auxiliary spindle above the main spindle.

Regards Tyrone.

If anyone is going to preview items, I'd be interested in hearing about some of the machines... anyone going? I'm too far away to go look.

-Phil

I am not to far away and was planning on going, but I just fell a week ago on some ice in my driveway and broke my left arm.
Just had surgery today to pin the bone together, so that puts me out.

Rob

I used to work at Deere and live in Cedar falls but I didn't know about this shop at all. There used to be a shop that did Bridgeport rebuilding, flame cutting, and Blanchard grinding in Waterloo called Industrial steel and machine sales. I had a choice from ISMS between my Okuma LS or what looks like one of the Springfield's at this auction. I've had good luck at Hilpipre's auctions. Merv is one of the auctioneers and his son Craig runs Equipment marketers and appraisers out of Cedar falls. I bought a Doall vertical saw from a in person auction of Hilpipre's many years ago for $200 and I just bought my Mori mv55 with a 4th from Craig for $4500. I have no affiliation with them other than they have always treated me right. I am about 2 hours from the auction site and might bid on a few smaller items but my shop is pretty full up now with the Mori. There used to be a lot of shops I knew that would let me in to look around and offer on stuff for sale. Now it seems there's fewer and fewer that carry older stuff and industrial junk that I'm interested in. Might be interested in a surface grinder if the price is right.

This shop was Haight Machine Shop Ltd owned by Aubrey Ernest Haight who recently died at age 90. According to his obit he apprenticed with John Deere and worked in the Product Engineering Department for 32 years.

Today was the auction date. The auction website indicates the auction is closed and doesn't list any sale prices. Is it stupid to ask if any member attended, what the turnout was and how well items sold. I know it's after the fact, but it's interesting, none the less.

Stuart

I looked at 13:00, and decided I wasn't gonna bid. The K&T 2D was at $2200ish. That's all I was really interested in, but with all the rust I saw , was too much at that point.

Everything else seemed reasonable if not a little low at that time. The gray planer was only $130 when I looked. If I had room, I might have bid on that or the SIP.

Sent from my rotary dial flip fone

Back