What's new
What's new

Hobart welder MG, VW driven

Metalman111

Plastic
Old Hobart welder, driven by a Volkswagen engine.also the tag says 3phase. Is there a built in converter? I'm guessing age around the 30,a to 50,s.20210109_113119.jpg20210110_145141.jpg20210109_113432.jpg20210109_205124.jpg

20210109_113514.jpg

This will be for sale once I figure some things out.

Old Hobart welder, driven by a Volkswagen engine.also the tag says 3phase. Is there a built in converter? I'm guessing age around the 30,a to 50,s.

This will be for sale once I figure some things out.

the 3 ph. is the MOTOR that ran the generator in the original complete motor-generator unit. that 3 ph. electric motor has been replaced by the Vdub engine.

as to age, 50's -60's from the look of it

What he said. Looks like that is a 3 speed unit with a fine adjust. I'm going to disagree a little, and say that is a '40's generator unit. No idea about the engine.

The VW motor may be worth a considerable sum......welder is not......Consequently ,find capacity of VW,advertise it as a beach buggy motor............99% of buggy motors are unrepairable due to busted /warped crankcases....buggys sell for $25k on the road........When you go to sell the motor ,buyers will give you all kinds of crap why its worthless,just stick to around $1k if it goes.

Its somewhat of a hack job, a old mg set welder that someone tied a vw engine to, back in the day out on the farm it had some value, but now it will come down to the value of the engine what little copper is in the mg set... sri...Phil

The VW motor may be worth a considerable sum......welder is not......Consequently ,find capacity of VW,advertise it as a beach buggy motor............99% of buggy motors are unrepairable due to busted /warped crankcases....buggys sell for $25k on the road........When you go to sell the motor ,buyers will give you all kinds of crap why its worthless,just stick to around $1k if it goes.

The oil-bath air-cleaner indicates that the VW engine is an early one. This was used in the 50s and abandoned in the early 60s, so a 1200 cc engine.

from the looks of it it does look like a pretty early single port 6 volt engine, based on the exhaust system and generator. The engine would more likely be of interest to someone restoring a pre 1958 type 1 rather than putting it into a buggy. The welder might be of interest to someone over at weldingweb. Jim

from the looks of it it does look like a pretty early single port 6 volt engine, based on the exhaust system and generator. The engine would more likely be of interest to someone restoring a pre 1958 type 1 rather than putting it into a buggy. The welder might be of interest to someone over at weldingweb. Jim
It looks identical to the engine in my old 1959 type 1 (mine was blue, and that giant folding sunroof was great))a3a0194f215efcc455eef539b2b33954.jpg

What he said. Looks like that is a 3 speed unit with a fine adjust. I'm going to disagree a little, and say that is a '40's generator unit. No idea about the engine.

"3 Speed unit for fine adjust "

Probably not, Hobarts (I have an engine driven one) have a outer hand wheel to select a "Range"
20-75, 60-130, 120-max. or something similar.
This one pictured looks old enough, to preclude the outer handwheel, hence the "shifter knob",
or the OEM one got broke off.

IMO - in it's day and as long as fitted with a governer, a 1200 VW is not abad choise for a welder motor.

From wikipedia ;- The 1.2-litre engine is called Typ 122 and has a displacement of 1,192 cc (72.7 cu in).[1] As industrial engine, its rated power is 22.8 kW (31 PS; 31 bhp) at 3000 min−1 without a governor, the highest torque 81.4 N⋅m (60 lbf⋅ft) at 2000 min−1. With a governor set to 8% accuracy, the rated power is 21.33 kW (29 bhp; 29 PS) at 3000 min−1, the highest torque is 69.63 N⋅m (51 lbf⋅ft) at 2000 min−1.[2] For other applications, the power and torque output may vary, e.g. On the Beetle produced 41 PS (40 bhp; 30 kW) at 3900 rpm and 88 N⋅m (65 lbf⋅ft) of torque at 2400 rpm.[5]

I'll stand by what I wrote given the pictures shown. The center knob is the fine adjust. This unit appears to predate the ships wheel units. Photo 3 shows a lever below the fine adjust with a low, medium, and high. That is why I called it a 3 speed machine.

I'll stand by what I wrote given the pictures shown. The center knob is the fine adjust. This unit appears to predate the ships wheel units. Photo 3 shows a lever below the fine adjust with a low, medium, and high. That is why I called it a 3 speed machine.

Where is the "speed" setting in welding ?

It's "amps" or "current".

if "speed", where then is the "Clutch" ?

This appears to be what is known as a motor-generator type welder. Instead of relying on a transformer with an adjustable magnetic shunt that slides in and out of the core, it uses an exciter winding within the DC generator head to regulate welding current and open-circuit voltage. By the looks of it it takes gasoline these days instead of three phase power.

Many thanks

I appreciate all the help.it looks like I have some work to do.some cleaning and more photos.thanks again guys.

Back