What's new
What's new

Hoefer 26" for a Royersford 21"...

michael.kitko

Cast Iron
Well, I just went and bought a Hoefer 26" Sliding Head Camelback yesterday. I have typically used my Royersford for drilling holes and running a trapping head. Now, I have heard that a good radial drill press, which in my opinion is the grandson of these things, can do stuff that would blow your mind and I have also heard that a radial drill press stripped of it's jigs and tooling makes it less desirable and virtually useless. So, maybe I'm missing something, or just want taught right when I was growing up, but it'll than drilling holes, reaming, and tapping, what more can radials and these things be used to do?

Sent from my S61 using Tapatalk

First the only thing a radial drill needs is a good box table, although if its missing they aren't that hard to find or one could be fabricated if the price of the drill is right. Any jigs or fixtures are only good for what ever operation they were built for. For anyone else they are scrap. The advantage of a radial drill is you can place the drill, reamer, tap head etc exactly where you want it within the drills work envelope without having to reposition the work piece. Think about how many times you have found that you can hit 3 of the four holes you need to drill only to have to remove the work piece from the table and reposition because you can't quite get to that fourth hole.

First the only thing a radial drill needs is a good box table, although if its missing they aren't that hard to find or one could be fabricated if the price of the drill is right. Any jigs or fixtures are only good for what ever operation they were built for. For anyone else they are scrap. The advantage of a radial drill is you can place the drill, reamer, tap head etc exactly where you want it within the drills work envelope without having to reposition the work piece. Think about how many times you have found that you can hit 3 of the four holes you need to drill only to have to remove the work piece from the table and reposition because you can't quite get to that fourth hole.
Thank you sir for your comment. The old timer, who mainly just laughed at me and let me figure it out myself, I doubt he would have missed something like this.

Sent from my S61 using Tapatalk

Back