What's new
What's new

Homemade lathe video

Froneck

Titanium
I was on You Tube and found this video of a guy making a homemade lathe. Want to have a laugh go look at YouTube.
Probably very accurate, taper +/- 1/4"/foot. Roundness +/- 1/4". No cross feed dial, just take a little off, good enough, nothing is square so what difference will an 1/8" make! In reality that guy spent a lot of time making a piece of Junk! I have no idea what motor he is using but a 900RPM 8 pole motor will be too fast with the pulleys he's using!

He did a good job of making it all things considered.

In the west a good used lathe could be bought for less than the price of the bang good components but in poorer countries ‘real’ lathes are still at premium.

Bet its more accurate than some clapped out junk ive endured in some shops!

He did a good job of making it all things considered.

In the west a good used lathe could be bought for less than the price of the bang good components but in poorer countries ‘real’ lathes are still at premium.

Bet its more accurate than some clapped out junk ive endured in some shops!

That is a very fair and balanced comment.

Many of us don't realise just how well off we are, ……..which makes it very easy to deride the efforts of those less fortunate.

As an aside, if this isn't allowed in the general forum, why should "home made lathes" discussion be allowed here (or any other sub forum for that matter ?

FWIW I think the lathe "Build" while not to be discussed here, is not too bad.

Granted the builder could use some "strength of materials" education, and some simple changes (using the same materials & process) to greatly improve the machine.

Still the OP's comments are un warranted to say the least.

This popped up on the right sidebar when viewing the OP's linked:
YouTube

Last edited:
Excuse me for not knowing it's not to be discussed here! Not me that made that lathe! Not to say I wouldn't try to make something like that but using non precision flange mount bearing would not be something I would consider. It's probably someone that hasn't a clue as to what a good lathe is! He may live in the middle of nowhere but that welding helmet looks quite state of the art! Being in the middle of PA I would get an old flat belt lathe and do some up-grading! But being lazy I have 1950's vintage top shelf lathes like P&W, Hendey and L&S that are in excellent condition that if were worn-out would do far better work than that boat anchor. I suppose if required I could make a lathe with linear bearings and better bearing for the spindle but in my opinion that video is a good example of how not to do it! It might look good but nothing is square, the frame he mounted the linear bearings on is not in the least flat. Maybe a new approach to turning straight shafts, wave surface, the snake eating ping pong balls look! However that piece of junk is not worth the effort! It's not a lathe but a weldment that looks like a lathe! But the video that digger doug listed is machined not an a welded boat anchor that guy in the video I posted made. It's not a Hardinge but will probably do hobby work.

Excuse me for not knowing it's not to be discussed here! Not me that made that lathe! Not to say I wouldn't try to make something like that but using non precision flange mount bearing would not be something I would consider. It's probably someone that hasn't a clue as to what a good lathe is! He may live in the middle of nowhere but that welding helmet looks quite state of the art! Being in the middle of PA I would get an old flat belt lathe and do some up-grading! But being lazy I have 1950's vintage top shelf lathes like P&W, Hendey and L&S that are in excellent condition that if were worn-out would do far better work than that boat anchor. I suppose if required I could make a lathe with linear bearings and better bearing for the spindle but in my opinion that video is a good example of how not to do it! It might look good but nothing is square, the frame he mounted the linear bearings on is not in the least flat. Maybe a new approach to turning straight shafts, wave surface, the snake eating ping pong balls look! However that piece of junk is not worth the effort! It's not a lathe but a weldment that looks like a lathe! But the video that digger doug listed is machined not an a welded boat anchor that guy in the video I posted made. It's not a Hardinge but will probably do hobby work.

Let’s hope your blatant privilege and ignorance don’t rear up as might you fall off your high horse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
There's a Brazilian (I think) fellow who posted a few years back, can't find his vids now. Shop made lathe, shop made 4 jaw chuck, all kinds of stuff; the guys here were starting to dig in then it was realized he had no hands, and was in an area where making this stuff was really the best option. It was pretty nice work given that pretty much everything he owned was shop made- but the fact the guy was missing both hand put everyone back on their heels. Wish I could find the vids...

Edit- found it, check out that bored fit around the 10min mark!
YouTube

Last edited:
Looks like he's having fun. Used right handed ball screws to control the carriage, he's going to have some excitement if he ever buys a bigger lathe.

He had enough room, he could have put the pulley inside the head stock.

OP, you helped the youtuber accomplish exactly what he wanted which was to get views. At 2.3 million views and counting I'd say he's running a successful youtube channel and providing me with cheap entertainment.

Back