Homemade lathe video
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Mifflintown, PA 17059
    Posts
    1,773
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    20
    Likes (Received)
    202

    Default Homemade lathe video

    I was on You Tube and found this video of a guy making a homemade lathe. Want to have a laugh go look at YouTube.
    Probably very accurate, taper +/- 1/4"/foot. Roundness +/- 1/4". No cross feed dial, just take a little off, good enough, nothing is square so what difference will an 1/8" make! In reality that guy spent a lot of time making a piece of Junk! I have no idea what motor he is using but a 900RPM 8 pole motor will be too fast with the pulleys he's using!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    essex england
    Posts
    1,014
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1994
    Likes (Received)
    659

    Default

    He did a good job of making it all things considered.

    In the west a good used lathe could be bought for less than the price of the bang good components but in poorer countries ‘real’ lathes are still at premium.

    Bet its more accurate than some clapped out junk ive endured in some shops!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    18,929
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    14433
    Likes (Received)
    14498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pressbrake1 View Post
    He did a good job of making it all things considered.

    In the west a good used lathe could be bought for less than the price of the bang good components but in poorer countries ‘real’ lathes are still at premium.

    Bet its more accurate than some clapped out junk ive endured in some shops!
    That is a very fair and balanced comment.

    Many of us don't realise just how well off we are, ……..which makes it very easy to deride the efforts of those less fortunate.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Surbiton, surrey, UK
    Posts
    1,619
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1992
    Likes (Received)
    1037

    Default

    I liked the video and had a good laugh at the OPs post...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    2,518
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon73 View Post
    I liked the video and had a good laugh at the OPs post...
    Ah, but the OP could have double-crossed you. Instead of posting "look at this cool video of a homemade lathe" which we'd all laugh at, he posted "go look at this piece of crap, what a joke !" so we all rushed over to make ridicule.

    Human nature is predictable

  6. Likes dalmatiangirl61, DeSelle liked this post
  7. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    15,542
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    As an aside, if this isn't allowed in the general forum, why should "home made lathes" discussion be allowed here (or any other sub forum for that matter ?

    FWIW I think the lathe "Build" while not to be discussed here, is not too bad.

    Granted the builder could use some "strength of materials" education, and some simple changes (using the same materials & process) to greatly improve the machine.

    Still the OP's comments are un warranted to say the least.

    This popped up on the right sidebar when viewing the OP's linked:
    YouTube
    Last edited by digger doug; 01-15-2020 at 07:22 AM.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Mifflintown, PA 17059
    Posts
    1,773
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    20
    Likes (Received)
    202

    Default

    Excuse me for not knowing it's not to be discussed here! Not me that made that lathe! Not to say I wouldn't try to make something like that but using non precision flange mount bearing would not be something I would consider. It's probably someone that hasn't a clue as to what a good lathe is! He may live in the middle of nowhere but that welding helmet looks quite state of the art! Being in the middle of PA I would get an old flat belt lathe and do some up-grading! But being lazy I have 1950's vintage top shelf lathes like P&W, Hendey and L&S that are in excellent condition that if were worn-out would do far better work than that boat anchor. I suppose if required I could make a lathe with linear bearings and better bearing for the spindle but in my opinion that video is a good example of how not to do it! It might look good but nothing is square, the frame he mounted the linear bearings on is not in the least flat. Maybe a new approach to turning straight shafts, wave surface, the snake eating ping pong balls look! However that piece of junk is not worth the effort! It's not a lathe but a weldment that looks like a lathe! But the video that digger doug listed is machined not an a welded boat anchor that guy in the video I posted made. It's not a Hardinge but will probably do hobby work.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    2,518
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1187

    Default

    ^ Well, I guess I blew that one

  10. Likes Demon73, DavidR8 liked this post
  11. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Posts
    58
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    97
    Likes (Received)
    16

    Default Homemade lathe video

    Quote Originally Posted by Froneck View Post
    Excuse me for not knowing it's not to be discussed here! Not me that made that lathe! Not to say I wouldn't try to make something like that but using non precision flange mount bearing would not be something I would consider. It's probably someone that hasn't a clue as to what a good lathe is! He may live in the middle of nowhere but that welding helmet looks quite state of the art! Being in the middle of PA I would get an old flat belt lathe and do some up-grading! But being lazy I have 1950's vintage top shelf lathes like P&W, Hendey and L&S that are in excellent condition that if were worn-out would do far better work than that boat anchor. I suppose if required I could make a lathe with linear bearings and better bearing for the spindle but in my opinion that video is a good example of how not to do it! It might look good but nothing is square, the frame he mounted the linear bearings on is not in the least flat. Maybe a new approach to turning straight shafts, wave surface, the snake eating ping pong balls look! However that piece of junk is not worth the effort! It's not a lathe but a weldment that looks like a lathe! But the video that digger doug listed is machined not an a welded boat anchor that guy in the video I posted made. It's not a Hardinge but will probably do hobby work.
    Let’s hope your blatant privilege and ignorance don’t rear up as might you fall off your high horse.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DavidR8; 01-15-2020 at 08:25 AM.

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    2,532
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2287
    Likes (Received)
    1096

    Default

    There's a Brazilian (I think) fellow who posted a few years back, can't find his vids now. Shop made lathe, shop made 4 jaw chuck, all kinds of stuff; the guys here were starting to dig in then it was realized he had no hands, and was in an area where making this stuff was really the best option. It was pretty nice work given that pretty much everything he owned was shop made- but the fact the guy was missing both hand put everyone back on their heels. Wish I could find the vids...

    Edit- found it, check out that bored fit around the 10min mark!
    YouTube
    Last edited by Screwmachine; 01-15-2020 at 07:36 AM.

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Louisville, KY, USA
    Posts
    954
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    214
    Likes (Received)
    213

    Default

    Looks like he's having fun. Used right handed ball screws to control the carriage, he's going to have some excitement if he ever buys a bigger lathe.

    He had enough room, he could have put the pulley inside the head stock.

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    53
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    12
    Likes (Received)
    27

    Default

    OP, you helped the youtuber accomplish exactly what he wanted which was to get views. At 2.3 million views and counting I'd say he's running a successful youtube channel and providing me with cheap entertainment.

  15. Likes DavidR8, digger doug liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •