What's new
What's new

Horizontal Mill identification

Rooger

Plastic
I recently acquired an old horizontal mill. It is on the small side but I could not beat the price. Everything appears to be in working order with lots of parts. The problem is, I just don't know what I have.

Identification would be appreciated...

20180715_101845.jpg

That appears to be a Lewis.

it is a kit machine from the 1940s or 1950s. I have one in my personal shop. Nice workable machine.

Yours may have timken spindle bearings (good), but lacks the back gear, and is missing the drive setup, which was a countershaft and motor bracket setup. To get appropriate speed and power for using 4" cutters, you will want the countershaft and back gears. Mine will run a high helix slab mill and take off serious material, if used with an overarm brace attaching the overarm to the knee.

not sure if the vise is a Lewis vise, it seems larger and blockier tha the pics I have seen. Mine came with no vise, but has the back gears, Timken bearings, and other useful modifications of the basic setup.

Thank you very much for your information JST. I did a google image search of Lewis Horizontal Mill and found another image of a Minton Mill in this forum which is also very close. I am hopeful my google skills and your information can help me sort this out. I do indeed have the counter shaft and motor bracket and happy to report the motor works, but will need a new plug do to age.

Ok, then you are better off.

Look here Lewis kit-built machine tools and you will find (down the page) pics of a Lewis mill with countershaft setup, timkens, back gears, and, oddly, two t-slots in the table. Mine has one, and not much room for two.

Yes, Minton is similar, but just not the same. And there are next to no Minton machines around. But a fair number of Lewis.

Back