What's new
What's new

How does this lathe clutch work?

99Panhard

Stainless
These are the parts of the clutch on my 15" Sidney. Until I took them apart I would have assumed that there was a thread of some sort on the big knob at the left that pulled the metal cone into the gear - a simple metal-to-metal cone clutch. However, that isn't the case at all. It looks as if there is a gentle taper on the knob that engages a taper in the gear and this is all. Is this right? I'd hate to get it all back together only to discover I'd missed something.

IMG_0002a.jpg

IMG_0003a.jpg

L&S similar, but knob has a LH thread from itself to the spool or bearing.

Twisting knob right tight (which is also fastened to the shaft by a hex nut on those small threads) pulls on shaft and engages cone clutch.

It does this because as your turn knob to right or clockwise, it unscrews from bearing/spool and pulls shaft with cone thru gear and engages clutch.

On L&S, gear is attached to or is integral with spool. If you hold gear/spool and knock the knob loose CW it will unscrew.

Probably STUCK right now like many of the star knob clutches are.

J.O.

Sidney clutch

I have never taken mine apart. That said my large left hand star knob was stuck as well. After questioning on this site I tried gentle tapping with a brass drift on the star knob. That broke the knob loose and it has worked since. It is a metal on metal clutch. I turn it clockwise to engage and counterclockwise to disengage. Hope this helps. Jim

You may also find that, like the L&S clutches, these things don't always release completely. If the carriage seems hard to crank or wants to creep a bit, unscrew the clutch all the way and slap the knob inward with the palm of your hand.

Here are some better pictures... I worry that I'm not doing an adequate job of explaining the problem. I've added captions - the first time I've tried that, so they should be self explanatory.

IMG_0001-4.jpg

IMG_0003-2.jpg

IMG_0005-1.jpg

IMG_0004-2.jpg

IMG_0006-2.jpg

IMG_0007-1.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

star wheel

Panhard,
In your picture which starts "The star wheel. This is a solid piece......."
I watched what I could of the shaft as I spun my star wheel. I do not think it is a solid piece. It looks like it must be threaded between the two. As I spin my star wheel it moves out against the nut causing the clutch to be pulled tight. I took the nut off and when I spin the star wheel it moves in and out depending on the direction of spin. My conclusion is that the threading you mentioned in the beginning of this thread occurs between the star wheel and slotted shaft ( the piece with the slotted groove) which you have concluded is solid. Mine appears to slide back and forth. Mayhaps yours is stuck. Or mayhaps I am wrong. That is my best guess without taking the whole saddle off and apart which I don't want to do. Jim

sidney clutch

Panhard,
Yup its threaded. After further investigation I got the star knob off. Now lets see if I can post the pics.:)

Attachments

• IMG_1302.jpg
    IMG_1302.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,879
  • IMG_1304.jpg
    IMG_1304.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 2,459
Yes Ray, thanks. Nothing yet, we'll see.

Those star clutches are amost identical to the L&S ones. Pretty sure Billy Lodge was instrumental in the creation of Sidney, so not surprizing.

Bingo... you've got it. Thanks very much. As hard as I looked I couldn't see any interface where the threads would go between the big end of the star wheel and the smaller part - but now I see that the threads don't go all the way to the end. Thanks very much - you've saved me all sorts of sleepless nights. Heck, thats why I'm typing this at 12:47!

Is it a left or right hand thread?

Joe P

Bingo... you've got it. Thanks very much. As hard as I looked I couldn't see any interface where the threads would go between the big end of the star wheel and the smaller part - but now I see that the threads don't go all the way to the end. Thanks very much - you've saved me all sorts of sleepless nights. Heck, thats why I'm typing this at 12:47!

Is it a left or right hand thread?

Joe P

Left hand.

I have the same kind of Clutch on mY old McDougall lathe ( 1920 1930 ) 21 inch swing lathe ( I can turn 21 inches in dia. ) The star wheels for the feeds are round and knearled on my lathe and stick in the on or the off position , I can dammaged my work peace or brake something on the machine . the Dia. of the clutch taper is smaller I would like to know if this can be fixed ? I use it as is but it would be better fixed !
I will send pictures soon

Georges_G

You learn to slap the knob as soon as you turn it to stop the feed. Slapping it with the open palm of your hand will release it instantly and completely.

You learn to slap the knob as soon as you turn it to stop the feed. Slapping it with the open palm of your hand will release it instantly and completely.

I played around with these on an old Seneca Falls Star 9" and my Clausing Model 111 mk3, what worked best for me was finding some small springs between the cone on the two small shafts. These keep a gentle push outward on the cone, aiding in a release when the star wheel is turned.

Dan L

Sticky feeds on my lathe

I played around with these on an old Seneca Falls Star 9" and my Clausing Model 111 mk3, what worked best for me was finding some small springs between the cone on the two small shafts. These keep a gentle push outward on the cone, aiding in a release when the star wheel is turned.

Dan L

My R.McDougall Lathe so worn that as you said there could be parts missing such as a spring , maybe a washer , bore and insert bushings ...

I do not have any drawing , Mannuals , or instructions for this lathe , I cannot even find a photo , I took 2 Photos but they are to general I plan to take a lot more ...

I am including the 2 I have

IM001926.jpgIM002223.jpg

Slapping the knob Should work but on my lathe I have to use the hammer and litly tap it in such way as to turn the knob not push in the left hand thred and the right han bolt lock together as (one) 1 in the off position or the on position ?
In the on position I could ram in to the chuck or my cross feed engages and scraps my work piece ??

Back