What's new
What's new

How to remove this type of collar?

JeffThompson

Plastic
Hi everyone, hope I'm posting in the right part of the forum! I'm in the process of restoring a 1930s Challenge Machinery Co paper guillotine and have it mostly disassembled except for one collar. I'm not sure of the right terminology here, so please correct me if I get any of this wrong.

The collar (see picture) holds a shaft in place for clamping down on the paper, with a hand-crank on the other side of the casting. It has a two-part retaining clip of some sort inside. They move freely and aren't stuck at all.

My questions are...

1. What is this called? (So I can look up more info online)
  2. How do I remove it from the shaft without damaging anything? Or, if I'll need to destroy the clips, what's the best way to do that?

Thanks so much!

IMG_7210.jpg

I'd guess similar to a version of the snap ring - which is usually one piece

The one piece jobs retain them selves and are meant to be sprung on or off - quite often with such a tool as snap ring pliers

If this one is two piece it just falls off after you move the shaft so the ring is no longer captured by the mating part.

You move the shaft by taking off the hand crank

Thanks – sorry I didn't have a better picture. The handwheel came off easily but the collar is still on there and has very little play. I've used snap rings before but can't figure out how these would come out. Was afraid to bang on it much for fear of breaking something, but maybe it's just stuck and should pop off?

Thanks – sorry I didn't have a better picture. The handwheel came off easily but the collar is still on there and has very little play. I've used snap rings before but can't figure out how these would come out. Was afraid to bang on it much for fear of breaking something, but maybe it's just stuck and should pop off?

You could try TURNING the shaft - less hand crank. It appears to be threaded and if passing thru a nut it will MOVE - which way depends on which way your turn it

You want it to move the "snap ring" away from the part that captures the ring

Back