Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I will be trying to take out one of the big plugs. But either way I will be using the camera to do more inspecting the bottom of the tank. The sides look pretty good. I will use my pressure washer to do a Hydro test on it.

If it passes, I will get an auto drain valve for the bottom of the tank. I have a Emax silent air two stage 80 gallon and I have a auto drain on it that works well keeping the water out of it.

I bought a transmission cooler for a pretank cooler that I may connect up to this one when it is ready for service.

I have a CNC plasma table. I do sandblasting on the parts I make. Then powder coating.
    The compressor will get a real workout here. In the summer my Emax will get gallons of water emptied out of the auto drain.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have not had time to work on my compressor. My new motor and magnetic switch… came in.
    So I had to at least open the inspection cover to look inside.
    20210219_1205411.jpg

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Quebec
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You think your emax is quiet, just wait till you get "Quincy" pumping! Now I went a little anal making mine as silent as possible as I mounted the motor on rubber, tank sits on rubber, carpet on the wall behind it ect, but for the biggest addition, find yourself an old oil bath air cleaner off a tractor. You can't use oil in it if you are running the pump unloaded, but a paper filter on top covers that. You litterally have to put your ear up tight to the filter to hear any intake noise at all!002.jpg Everybody who comes in the new shop take one look at the compressor and say "aw crap, you have to listen to THAT. Once I make it start, their jaw drops. I blast some small parts/projects with it and it handles a 1/8 nozzle for start and stop blasting but I have a bigger portable I put together for larger jobs.003.jpg It along with a pot I made out of a 100# propane cylinder running a 3/8 nozzle001.jpg keeps me busy. I also use the bigger one for cleaning machinery and the barn have even blown out wells with it.

4. Likes dkmc, mark_b liked this post
    Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like a 5120, the biggest QR25 Monster. What engine is driving it? I'd like to see more pictures and description of this rig. You should start another thread on it.

Quote Originally Posted by dundeeshopnut View Post
    I have a bigger portable I put together for larger jo
    bs.003.jpg It along with a pot I made out of a 100# propane cylinder running a 3/8 nozzle001.jpg keeps me busy. I also use the bigger one for cleaning machinery and the barn have even blown out wells with it.

6. Likes dundeeshopnut liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You think your emax is quiet, just wait till you get "Quincy" pumping! Now I went a little anal making mine as silent as possible as I mounted the motor on rubber, tank sits on rubber, carpet on the wall behind it ect, but for the biggest addition, find yourself an old oil bath air cleaner off a tractor. You can't use oil in it if you are running the pump unloaded, but a paper filter on top covers that. You litterally have to put your ear up tight to the filter to hear any intake noise at all!002.jpg Everybody who comes in the new shop take one look at the compressor and say "aw crap, you have to listen to THAT. Once I make it start, their jaw drops. I blast some small parts/projects with it and it handles a 1/8 nozzle for start and stop blasting but I have a bigger portable I put together for larger jobs.003.jpg It along with a pot I made out of a 100# propane cylinder running a 3/8 nozzle001.jpg keeps me busy. I also use the bigger one for cleaning machinery and the barn have even blown out wells with it.
    That is a great idea with the air filter.
    I would also like to know more about your portable rig. That looks amazing.
    Is this the right air filter?
    https://www.amazon.com/C5NE9600F-Bat...ustrial&sr=1-4

8. Likes dkmc liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Quebec
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes that oil bath that one will work. You will need to fab a paper filter to go on top. I just used a adaptor for a pool vaccuum hose that goes in the skimmer, and an old cooking pot lid for a cover. A little rednecky but hey it worked. I'll start a thread on my portable if it doesn't violate some obscure rule here as it IS pretty new for this topic [1981]

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'll start a thread on my portable if it doesn't violate some obscure rule here as it IS pretty new for this topic [1981]
    Great. I'm sure you'll be in violation somehow or it wouldn't be 2021.....let them deal with it. Post a link to your thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mark_b View Post
    Looking again at the pictures of mine. It has to be leaking from the seal on the pulley side. In the manual it just shows the seal and the cover together.
    I was able to find a document that had the seal number saying it would fit my cover. 6316 I found just the seal on eBay last night and I have one coming.
    My intercoolers were caked solid with dirt and oil. That oil had to come from somewhere. It was not expensive so by some slim chance it is not leaking then I will have the seal on hand.
    My manual was very indistinct about whether there was a seal there or not. Finally I just said to heck with it and pulled the little plate off. Sure nuff, seal. I took it off and took it to NAPA and they matched it right up. The hardest part was pulling the big fan sheave. You really need a hefty two jaw puller and I didn't have one.

About that intercooler, soak it in detergent and then gently pressure wash it. You won't believe the crap that will come off those fins.

metalmagpie

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was able to put more degreaser on it and pressure wash it. I think I am finally there.

Here is a before and after picture.
    incollage_20210222_100024911.jpg

My diaphragms appear to be lost in the mail. My bearing seal is late in the mail but still on their way.

13. Likes dundeeshopnut liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Quebec
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks clean enough to work on now! Always nice to repair or service a machine and not introduce more dirt into it than was there before you started.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I finally have it off my trailer and on a pallet. I have a subcompact tractor and I could not lift it any higher on trailer. I could curl it and get it off the trailer a couple inches. I just pulled trailer out from under it. I have it bolted to the pallet my Emax came on. It has nice 4 x 4 where the legs get bolted down.
    20210223_1918351.jpg

I am finishing up my 45 year old Kellogg compressor. The 175 psi pump is two stage rated at 8.8 CFM. Kellogg 321TX. I rebuilt the valves and replaced the unloader valve and replaced motor bearings/cleaned it.
    It is only 2 HP with it gets 8.2 CFM with my pulleys. But once that one is done I will get my Quincy in the garage.
    screenshot_20210223-202521_gallery.jpg

I did a home Hydro test on this one today.
    20210223_172559.jpg
    Last edited by mark_b; 02-24-2021 at 11:39 AM.

16. Likes dundeeshopnut liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Quebec
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Talk about coincidence. When I put my 325 together, I bought an 80 gallon tank with a pump attached. A little Kellogg 321. Put it on a 60 gallon tank and set it up at the farm for air there. Mostly tire inflation and cleaning air filters ect. Sweet little thing.

18. Likes mark_b liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is a crazy coincidence.
    The Kellogg is a pretty quiet little compressor. It is going in my front garage for about the same duty as you have yours for. I picked it up on marketplace for $100.

20. Likes dundeeshopnut liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was able to get one of the big plugs out of the air tank.
    This tank is 1947 and it looks amazing auto drains work.
    It is just under 1/4” thick steel this thing is so heavy. This tank is built like a real tank.
    I could not budge the bottom plug but I am done trying I have seen enough.

20210220_213730.jpg

20210225_093354.jpg

The drain in the bottom is 1/2" I like that.
    Last edited by mark_b; 02-25-2021 at 06:46 PM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another pressure washer home hydro test completed. 300 Psi passed with flying colors.

20210225_173259.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The crank case is now cleaned up. Here is a picture of almost cleaned up.
    There was almost no sludge in it. The screen needed cleaned up. It has fresh oil that I will use to test it.
    I will drain it again and switch to Synthetic compressor oil.

20210225_201839.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I want going to make one of these for my compressor. why reinvent the wheel.
    I ordered this last night. It will make adjusting the belts simple. It was 39.54 shipped.
    It is made for my motor frame 184T
    mm.jpg

This is what it will replace. These two bent up rails.
    20210222_091221.jpg
    Last edited by mark_b; 02-26-2021 at 12:40 PM.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Quebec
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You don't need fancy synthetic oil. 30 weight non detergent will work fine. Changing the oil occasionally is more important as that is the only way to get contaminants/water ect out. Stick some thick rubber under that motor plate and under the washers holding it down, really cuts down on the motor hum so thoughtfully amplified by the tank underneath.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Synthetic oil prevents carbon build up on the valves and piston tops. But that's when the pump is being used such that its getting hot with continuous use at high pressures. Like media blasting in hot weather. Probably worth the extra money for 2-3 quarts anyway.

You don't need fancy synthetic oil. 30 weight non detergent will work fine...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You don't need fancy synthetic oil. 30 weight non detergent will work fine. Changing the oil occasionally is more important as that is the only way to get contaminants/water ect out. Stick some thick rubber under that motor plate and under the washers holding it down, really cuts down on the motor hum so thoughtfully amplified by the tank underneath.
    Good idea I will put some rubber under the plate. I would like to keep the noise down. I work very late in the many nights.