What's new
What's new

I just purchased a cone head Hendey lathe, i want to restore and learn

MachiningBright

Plastic
hello all, i was looking for my first lathe and ive come to find one for 750$. turns out ive purchased a hendey lathe, ive managed to find some good things about it and im very curious to learn more about mine specifically.

The serial #29402.

I know the motor was replaced with a single phase, a thread dial was added. but i also know the tailstock might have some form of damage, when fully retracted into the housing the lodged object isnt ejected. also if a center is put in, a large section of the tools taper is left exposed as if the tailstock cylinder was cut back.

The tail stock doesnt upset me much, it works and i can probably get some work out of it still, and i was shown a way to get the lodged tool out without damage. but if there is a way i can make a new part id be really excited to, idk if a BP is out there or if ima have to hop on fusion for a bit.

The drive belt was also pretty old and loose by the sound, it also worked for the test cut, but if i can replace it that might be my first repair/adjustment. I also have a interest to inspect the spindle bearings :eek: and maybe replace them, can i use modern designs or do i have to pray the ebay gods have some "lightly used" ones. i know spindle bearings can be very machine dependent for difficulty but if i can id also make this a high priority for machine function.

Beyond those high priorities id like to slowly replace other worn parts, this will likely take place over a couple years or more :o . id also like to paint it.

what other components would you all suggest should be replaced if worn?

To finish off this lil novel, ive found a couple old manuals, but i was wondering if there was any information about my specific make and model, as it appears my bed casting might be a lil different then others ive seen.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 146
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 147
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 145
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 162
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 135
Bearings for spindle are a detail part of head stock , are "plain", meaning made from Bronze or Babbitt or other "white metal" - they are not something you "buy" - more like you make or have made - by such as member hendeyman

This is of course if they are actually needing replacement

Suggest searching at length for articles in this forum that are related - such as Patrick Black's thread

Hendey 14 by 6 Tie-Bar Rehab

The taper doesn't fit most likely because it is a Hendey version of the Morse taper

Hendey_Tapers_Page_1.jpgHendey-Tapers2.jpg

29402 is about 1937

I'm no expert on old Hendey lathes though I've owned quite a few. Odd is the 2 red "Buttons" on both sides of the carriage. I also see the feed/lead screw reverse lever moved to the rear of the machine and not on the Apron. Seem someone made a thread dial, it's not original Hendey. Hendeyman can tell you if you have adjustable spindle bearings.

Trelonad324:

Before I give you the history of your lathe, I would like to offer a few comments.

My thanks to John Oder for posting the two C45 drawings regarding the Hendey-Morse taper and his admonition about removing the Spindle
Bearings. The bearings are cast from aluminum bronze and get very brittle with age, I no longer have any replacements in stock. Over the
years, we have discussed how to adjust these bearings. Review the posts in the search section and if you have any questions, please post
here or contact me directly. I will be glad to offer any help I can.

I am glad that Froneck has an eagle eye, I missed the location of the Reversing Handle and the extra parts with the red paint on them.
These parts do not always appear in the factory photographs and it would seem that they were introduced about 1936. I have no idea of
what they are called or what they do. I will have to research the Bills of Materials to figure out what they are. One thing I am very
curios about is why put the Reversing Handle at the end of the bed and yet no Shipper Rod was fitted? A Shipper Rod would have made it
convenient to control the Spindle from any point on the bed. I have this arrangement on my No.1 High Speed and I really like it.

Hendey lathe No. 29402, a 14 x 30, Cone Head model, was completed August 11, 1937. The following information was taken from the original
Order Form. any information in parenthesis is my addendum.

Date Ordered - April 20, 1937
Date Started - April 23, 1937
Sold to - Bausch and Lomb Optical Company, Rochester, New York
Description - 14" x 30" Cone Cabinet Lathe CR (Compound Rest)
Oil Pan
Regular Equipment (as shown in catalog)
Furnish and fit Cushman 6" 3 jaw universal GS (Geared Scroll) chuck with style 1 jaws, external grip - #31-A
Furnish and fit Cushman 6" 3 jaw universal GS (Geared Scroll) chuck with style 2 jaws, internal grip - #32-A
Furnish and fit Jacobs #18 super ball bearing drill chuck
Furnish and fit Cone Motor Drive
Furnish and fit General Electric ball bearing motor, 2 HP, 440 volts, 3 phase, 60 cycles, 200 RPM, type K,
frame 225, together with CR-7008-A1A combination magnetic switch (unfused) and CR-2940-BS2073 push button
station
CONTROL IS TO BE MOUNTED ON THE LATHE AND WIRED READY FOR OPERATION
Cone Belt 1-3/4" x 4'5-7/8" long, light double combination hoghide
Motor belt 2' x 6'3-1/2" long, light double flex
A Four Way Tool Block was ordered on May 1, 1939

There are very few Patterns, castings or repair Parts left in inventory for this lathe, but all of the original drawings are still in
the files, so parts can be made if required.

Your lathe uses a 2-1/2 H-M taper, this is an obsolete size. May I suggest that you consider reaming the Tailstock Spindle to a standard
No.3 Morse taper. This can be done in situ with a very light feed and plenty of oil. If you have the original Headstock Spindle Bushing,
you can carefully grind it out to take the new size of center.

Hendeyman

Last edited:
Many of the oiler points on this machine are painted red as are the two mystery 'buttons' on the front of the carriage. Possibly those are way oiler points somehow, as well?

Trelonad324:

Before I give you the history of your lathe, I would like to offer a few comments.

My thanks to John Oder for posting the two C45 drawings regarding the Hendey-Morse taper and his admonition about removing the Spindle
Bearings. The bearings are cast from aluminum bronze and get very brittle with age, I no longer have any replacements in stock. Over the
years, we have discussed how to adjust these bearings. Review the posts in the search section and if you have any questions, please post
here or contact me directly. I will be glad to offer any help I can.

I am glad that Froneck has an eagle eye, I missed the location of the Reversing Handle and the extra parts with the red paint on them.
These parts do not always appear in the factory photographs and it would seem that they were introduced about 1936. I have no idea of
what they are called or what they do. I will have to research the Bills of Materials to figure out what they are. One thing I am very
curios about is why put the Reversing Handle at the end of the bed and yet no Shipper Rod was fitted? A Shipper Rod would have made it
convenient to control the Spindle from any point on the bed. I have this arrangement on my No.1 High Speed and I really like it.

Hendey lathe No. 29402, a 14 x 30, Cone Head model, was completed August 11, 1937. The following information was taken from the original
Order Form. any information in parenthesis is my addendum.

Date Ordered - April 20, 1937
Date Started - April 23, 1937
Sold to - Bausch and Lomb Optical Company, Rochester, New York
Description - 14" x 30" Cone Cabinet Lathe CR (Compound Rest)
Oil Pan
Regular Equipment (as shown in catalog)
Furnish and fit Cushman 6" 3 jaw universal GS (Geared Scroll) chuck with style 1 jaws, external grip - #31-A
Furnish and fit Cushman 6" 3 jaw universal GS (Geared Scroll) chuck with style 2 jaws, internal grip - #32-A
Furnish and fit Jacobs #18 super ball bearing drill chuck
Furnish and fit Cone Motor Drive
Furnish and fit General Electric ball bearing motor, 2 HP, 440 volts, 3 phase, 60 cycles, 200 RPM, type K,
frame 225, together with CR-7008-A1A combination magnetic switch (unfused) and CR-2940-BS2073 push button
station
CONTROL IS TO BE MOUNTED ON THE LATHE AND WIRED READY FOR OPERATION
Cone Belt 1-3/4" x 4'5-7/8" long, light double combination hoghide
Motor belt 2' x 6'3-1/2" long, light double flex
A Four Way Tool Block was ordered on May 1, 1939

There are very few Patterns, castings or repair Parts left in inventory for this lathe, but all of the original drawings are still in
the files, so parts can be made if required.

Your lathe uses a 2-1/2 H-M taper, this is an obsolete size. May I suggest that you consider reaming the Tailstock Spindle to a standard
No.3 Morse taper. This can be done in situ with a very light feed and plenty of oil. If you have the original Headstock Spindle Bushing,
you can carefully grind it out to take the new size of center.

Hendeyman

I'm guessing the red buttons are the CR-2940-BS2073 push button station?

Back