What's new
What's new

I ran across an incredible tooling find, but I need some experienced advice

Pyrex

Aluminum
My experience lies primarily in CNC milling machines and routers. Over the last few years I've decided to focus more on metal work and I've been looking to purchase a lathe. I have some machinist friends and I reached out to them to let me know if they found anything that would help me get started.

This past weekend I received word a friend's acquaintance had purchase a warehouse and it had "some machinery" in it. I received some pictures of what looking like Warner & swasey No. 3 and No. 5 turret lathes, and an old rockwell mill. I decided to check it out because it's pretty close to me.

Turns out, it was a manufacturer of fittings that closed shop in 2000. The shop has been sitting for 20 years. The amount of tooling in the shop (as you might expect) is absolutely ludicrous.

The only problem is... I have no idea what the hell I'm doing. ;)

So, as a new doe-eyed future lathe owner, I'd like to get some input on what exactly I should try to pick up from this warehouse to get me started. I've taken quite a bit of pictures, and I will rely on everyone's input to help me through this. Once I get what I'm looking for, I'd be more than happy to share his contact info with anyone interested in what's left (because, honestly, there may be enough for everyone).

As for the lathes, there are four lathes, what appear to be 1960's era Warner & Swasey No.3 and No. 5 turret lathes. All of these are gigantic production machines (which is all the lathes) and I don't have the space for them, and I don't think they're really what I'm looking for as a hobby machinist/gunsmith. There were also two Hardinge lathes around a 9" size or so, rather small which he made small fittings on. Both had turret setups and had pretty decent looking ways.

Based on the fact the big lathes are too big, and the small lathes are too small, I probably won't be interested in any of those. I'm looking to purchase a lathe around a Clausing 14x40 or something in about that general size. My main interest is his tooling and measuring tools. Unfortunately, since I don't really know what I'm looking at, I don't really know where exactly to come in with a price. It would appear most all of the tooling is US made, so probably decent quality.

On with the photos.

jz5sKAR.jpg

09Du5me.jpg

y2ivvxF.jpg

PKdF6G1.jpg

tn2ZLES.jpg

VqLYziW.jpg

Gj6yecD.jpg

TY6ifks.jpg

xjkSbK8.jpg

fcdutvc.jpg

nSK39tk.jpg

01ckLr8.jpg

There is tons more, but I only had a few hours to go through what I saw.

What I need to know, if anyone would be so gracious to share:
Which tooling would you go after if you were just getting started?
Many of the tool holders appeared to be 1", and I'm not sure if that's too large (or not ideal) for a 14x40 lathe or not.

1" square shank too large for 14" lathe. Boring bars, drills, etc good to use. That hardinge might be good for you as well.

As for the w&s and its tools, bad news. Tough sell unless just the right buyer (hard to find) or they are "A" models

I would have a hard time justifying the trouble to pick up most of that tooling.

I've got a great Wade 94, so the Harding, though it catches my eye, is just something that needs cleaning.

Strange how that works...... ;-)

great advice, I appreciate everyone taking the time. Especially on the tool holders. Here are some more images. I'm interested if these are 5C collets

jXH9wip.jpg

BdUAmJk.jpg

There is an entire cabinet full of drill bits I'm probably going to snag
jAZmLkw.jpg

I'm interested in this K.O. Lee 960 surface grinder, but it looks like it's missing the shroud and a few other pieces. Anyone use one of these before?
fcdutvc.jpg

One of the biggest threading tools I've ever seen, it has two huge boxes full of threading inserts for it.

Other things of note: boxes of HSS blanks, and cabinets full of measuring equipment. I didn't have a chance to photo all of that, but I will make sure to pass it on if anyone sees something of interest. There are two Hardinge DV-59 turret lathes, three W&S No.3 lathes, two No. 5 lathes. There is also a very old looking Bridgeport horizontal mill as well. I'm not a good judge of machines, but it looked turn of the century era.

I'd happily help dig thru that collection of goodies, but I'm 1000+ miles away right now. I know someone in central tx area looking for an old lineshaft style horizontal mill if it is available, get a pic, lets see that beast.

The KO Lee is a tool and cutter grinder, it was on my wishlist, but as the shop filled its been bumped off list, for now.

IMO, 90% of that stuff is too big to be of any use in a smaller setting. The Hardinge could be nice for you, and it looks like it has a conventional cross slide and compound at the edge of the photo. The collets are good, as are the drill bits. The die heads might be of use, though they look a bit beat up or dirty. It would be great to have that KO tool grinder.

95% of that stuff is useless for a home shop ,just toooo big . collets look to be 5-C but not near a full set. Tool and cutter grinder without it's tooling is fairly useless and you need a mag chuck to try to use it as a surface grinder. As far as surface grinders go from personal experience if it does not have power feed table and coolant PASS !

Good info. Okay. Assuming I can snag it for cheap, which is the intent, I feel like it would be useful for drill bits and end Mills at the least. The power feed was a concern I had as well.

On that KO L T & C grinder, open up the door on the front and see if there is any fixtures/tooling in that would go with the grinder. Mine is full of stuff I've bought over the years to the point I have another cabinet I keep the rest of the fixtures and stuff in.
Also, with all of those cams hanging up on that rack on the wall, are there any screw machines in the building that uses them?

Depending on where this is located, I may be able to help you identify the equipment in there and put a price on the items. I'm in no need of anything but you never know.

Ken

On that KO L T & C grinder, open up the door on the front and see if there is any fixtures/tooling in that would go with the grinder. Mine is full of stuff I've bought over the years to the point I have another cabinet I keep the rest of the fixtures and stuff in.
Also, with all of those cams hanging up on that rack on the wall, are there any screw machines in the building that uses them?

Depending on where this is located, I may be able to help you identify the equipment in there and put a price on the items. I'm in no need of anything but you never know.

Ken

There were piles of cutting wheels in the cabinet, I'll look closer when I return tomorrow.

I didn't see any screw machines that I recognized, those usually have a gatling gun style extension out the side, right? Some of the w&s lathes had huge screws out one side, wasn't sure with turret lathe sorcery.

I see possible issues with rust on a lot of the items I saw. Those lathes could need a lot of TLC and could have pricey bearings that are shot. I want to know what those cam sets went to.

Back