What's new
What's new

I saved these from the scrapyard, can you help me identify them?

rickyroadrunner

Plastic
Hello, I'm new to this forum. If this posting should be in a different place on here please let me know. I came across these items that were left overs from an estate sale. The man that had passed away was a retired scientist from Los Alamos National Labs. The guy that had these items as well as quite a few Hardinge HLV lathe parts was on his way to the scrapyard to scrap them for two cents a pound! Fortunately I looked at the load and intervened. I can't identify three items so I am asking for your help. If possible I would like to know their names and most common uses. The first item is the only one to have any name on it. It reads " Ralmikes catalog no. 060-1-4" I looked up Ralmikes and found they no longer exist. I did post this item under a different category and the only 2 replies were very childish. I guess there are some on every forum. I'm hoping we can do better in this category.
The next item looks like an automated machine with a reversing 220 volt gear motor turning a feed screw. Unfortunately the switches to reverse it have been broken.
The last item I am sure was used in conjunction with machining a radius.
Any help with identifying these machines would be appreciated. I can only attach five items per post. I will continue with photos on a second posting. Thank you in advance.....Rick.

ralmikes 010.jpgralmikes 012.jpgralmikes 2 001.jpg

metal working parts 001.jpgmetal working parts 002.jpg

Very nice but look like specials so likely not much call for them.. could be great for fixturing a special task..

The motorized slide could be handy for many jobs perhaps a kick out for a lathe cross feed.

Thanks buck, in my attempts to educate myself I have been on here frequently as of lately. I've been impressed with the cumulative knowledge on here. It's opened a whole new world for my old brain. I'm fascinated by the "new to me" scraping process I have been reading about. The first couple of times I saw a link that mentioned "scaping a machine" I thought they were referring to scrapping a machine. Scrapping as in sending to the scrapyard. I thought to myself what kind of a machinist would scrap a machine instead of repairing it. I was amazed when I watched the first scraping videos on You Tube....Rick.

The first could become a position fixture, so holding two parts or two vises, being easy to position parts in a certain location and movable for different part sizes, perhaps for use on a mill or a grinder. Unlike just bolting two vises on a mill table this device would allow one to retain the set-up for a quick and easy set up at a future date..Yes this with taking off the angled parts. Yes it could lay flat on risers with having the rotating part removed...or it could stand on the rotating part and attached base so allowing an angle set or tweaking ability. Could be use to hold centers so putting centers on a mill table or a surface grinder

The second (mention the motor make and specs) having gibbs and 8 inches of travel could be a controlled slide, for an opposite side cut off tool holder on a lathe. Perhaps a slide holding a grinder or mill head. A slide or holder for a powered boring bar, a stepping motor controlled device if it is indeed a stepping motor. A slide for an overhead wheel dresser. I could see it as a spindle taper grinding fixture with having a grinder motor attached. It could slide with grinder to rough grind a cross feed way pre scraping (to 8 inches). A precision drill press slide..A machine axis power feed. Attach centers to become a taper grinding fixture to lay flat on a surface grinder chuck using the horizontal center of the grinding wheel not the bottom. ...or what? Yes the motor could be removed and a lead or even ball screw set in place for hand travel feed, with having a numbered dial. Could have the power drive removed with taking off the motor and become a lever slide drive perhaps for turning a surface grinder into a tool and cutter grinder...

You have had 350 looks so it is a successful post, Just waiting for the person needing such fixtures.

Thanks buck, I actually understood most of your reply. While i am not a machinist I had a long time friend that was. I did at times help him when he was busy. You might say I learned enough to be dangerous. To get back to the post ; the motor on the second machine is made by Von Weise Gear Company. Its a single phase, 220 volt a/c motor, .6 amp, 1/10th hp., 120 rpm output. There is a bracket with 2 switches on it that are tripped by the motion of the slide. So in operation this machine was of a reciprocating nature. I imagine it may be a one of a kind machine designed for a specific job. With that said I don't expect anyone to come up with exact details (manufacturer, name of machine, specific use) As for the Ralmikes catalog no.060-1-4 as rklopp suggested I am now convinced that only a part of the machine is Ralmikes made, the rest being custom fabricated. I have appreciated all answers and also all of you that bothered to read my postings. If anyone has anymore information pertaining to these items please post it. For now I will be happy that they weren't scrapped.

Back