What's new
What's new

I thought this was an auto tapper, what is it?

Jeff Horton

Plastic
6C43E707-178D-4A44-8678-3AC74ADA3F3C.jpgC62B69DC-E787-4BDC-8D2A-630EE39FE4F5.jpgA38610D4-FA73-473C-98DD-1BCE1F7485E4.jpg
I bought this ($4.35) on the long shot that it was some version of an auto tapper. The input shaft and the output shaft appeared to be tied together so I thought the clutch/torque limiting may be broke. Upon disassembly it appears the shaft is solid from input to output. Does anybody now what this is? Of course there is not a single letter of writing on it.

Looks like a “BIG Daishowa” or similar brand tapping head but a rigid one so no torque limiting? Are you sure there is no clutch if it had a different holder in it?

Thanks Metalo it looks like you solved the mystery. I was able to find a YouTube video with a guy using one and a sales flyer. Hopefully the link to the video and the flyer are attached.
7C5A2C91-EDBA-4E19-AB88-5C587C12508D.jpg , YouTube
Jeff

Looks like a rare find. Perhaps even a better one than a tapping head.

I wonder why they don't make those today. Or do they?

BTW, if you are looking for a used tapping head, you might try Anderson Tooling, in Fairfield Iowa. It has been around 10 years since I visited them, but the last time I was there I saw a bunch of them on their shelves.

Anderson Tooling | Rigging Services and Used Tooling

No affiliation, I just liked them. And they helped me with the delivery of my Grizzly mill.

So I watched the video, but don't understand how it works? What does it do that you couldn't do by just occasionaly pausing on your downfeed pressure?

According to the sales brochure the chip breaking action occurs every 3/4 turn of the drill. The result being very small chips.
I have one of these but I have never used it. I need a J33 taper chuck for it and have not gotten around to getting one.

yup! as stated it's an antique chip breaker.
should be a very handy addition to the DP for that nasty stringy stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like it will be GREAT ! on your DP's spindle bearings....why not just simply mind the quill handle when drilling ?

Am I the only one here that has power down feed? [emoji849] [emoji23]

Me too on my small radial drill. But I simply engage and dis-engage the feed as needed.

That attachment would work good on an auto drill like a Snow (oh wait, they have their own device called a "woodpecker" that appear to interrupt the feed).

Probably why you never see these things much.

Me too on my small radial drill. But I simply engage and dis-engage the feed as needed.

That attachment would work good on an auto drill like a Snow (oh wait, they have their own device called a "woodpecker" that appear to interrupt the feed).

Probably why you never see these things much.

yea, agree that it's a very niche item for sure. would still like to have it on the shelving though! but i clearly have a problem with hoarding tooling. i still have a pile of R8 crap and haven't owned anything with an R8 spindle in like a decade haha [emoji51]

Back