What's new
What's new

ID milling vise?

leeko

Stainless
Hi all,

Can anyone suggest who made this vise? It's an interesting design - I haven't seen one with this type of cast iron skirt and lugs to support the fixed jaw (I assume) on either side. I'm guessing it's intended for heavier duty as a result? I originally thought it might be a shop made skirt on top of a regular anglok style vise, but the skirt has a part number cast in (c5686). Googling that gives me nothing.

Just curious - I like vises!

Lee
a348682c8113efbafcdebaa0cfaa400f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Very cool! Thanks for the link to the patent, it does look similar (but not identical) to that. I wonder if it was a copy of a very early Kurt vise - or the company that would become Kurt, their name escapes me just now...

Thanks again,

Lee

I think what you're seeing as a tilt mechanism is just a swoop in the base casting? I don't see anything else to suggest it tilts, but it's all WAGs based on a single picture....

Lee

I think what you're seeing as a tilt mechanism is just a swoop in the base casting? I don't see anything else to suggest it tilts, but it's all WAGs based on a single picture....

Lee

Leeko: So, I assume that this vise is not in your possession, you only have the pic?

JH

Very cool! Thanks for the link to the patent, it does look similar (but not identical) to that. I wonder if it was a copy of a very early Kurt vise - or the company that would become Kurt, their name escapes me just now...

Thanks again,

Lee

I think the pre-Kurt vise was made by Muggli .

Hal

Back