What's new
What's new

ID Radius/Angle Dresser

Derek Smalls

Stainless
Identify Radius/Angle Dresser

Anyone recognize this and know what grinder it belongs with? It came to me along with some tooling I picked up at an auction recently. Seems to me that it's not a generic tangential dresser, but rather it's made for use on a specific brand or type of machine. It looks like it's meant to be held on the machine using the large external dovetail on it's body.
The grinding department it came out of contained mostly Heald ID grinders, along with a couple of Jones & Shipman OD grinders. I've searched for dressers made by these two companies and have not come up with anything that looks similar.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Ultimately, I'd like to pass this on to someone who needs it, so if interested in buying this thing, let me know. I'm sure we can work something out.
Thanks.

Attachments

• DSCN2886.jpg
    DSCN2886.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 165
  • DSCN2888.jpg
    DSCN2888.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCN2889.jpg
    DSCN2889.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 160
  • DSCN2893.jpg
    DSCN2893.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 159
  • DSCN2891.jpg
    DSCN2891.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
It looks somewhat similar to the overhead dresser shown on the Jones and Shipman Surface grinder if you scroll down about 10 pictures in the link but no optics on yours that I can see.
Jones & Shipman 540 Page 2
knowing If the parts are made to inch or metric dimensions and screw threads are Metric or British or National Standard might give a guide as to where it was made.
I note the use of Slotted screw heads in places we would often see Allen or socket head screws if it were made in U.S.A.
The graduated knurled knob that appears to advance the diamond looks like some I have seen on some machines before but can’t place it at the moment.
I suppose it could have been made by a supplier that sold them to several companies.
Regards,
Jim

Thanks Jim. I had checked out the J&S info you linked to, but on a second look I see more similarity than I did previously. I'm starting to think it is J&S, just not a very common attachment. I don't think it's metric but I'll dig it out latter and double check.
Being that the radius it can dress is so limited, and it was surrounded by Heald ID grinders, I was really thinking Heald, but now, I guess not.

Well, at least it's now obvious what should be done with it. I need to slobber it with ugly green or blue paint(including the all the machined and sliding surfaces of course) and list it on ebay with an asking price of $2700.00. I'm off to get some paint!

Back