What's new
What's new

Identification of a horizontal miller arbor support

Elam Works

Aluminum
Hello All,

Need some help identifying an arbor support for a small/medium horizontal miller. Came with some odds and ends and is surplus to requirements. I figured I would put it up on eBay, but obviously connecting with anyone searching for such would be more successful if it was known what miller it came off of. The overarm is 2-3/4" diameter, the arbor bearing is 1-5/8" diameter and the center distance is 5-3/4". It does seem to be imperial dimensions, so I think the European mills can be ruled out. The Allen clamp bolt and general style indicated something that is not terribly old, but I do not recognize it as any of the common small to medium horizontal mills that I am familiar with. I even had a trawl through the lathes.co.uk site, but no luck.

-Doug

Attachments

• DSCN6030.jpg
    DSCN6030.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 124
  • DSCN6029.jpg
    DSCN6029.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 144
I'm missing the overarm support for my Bristol No. 0 horizontal mill but unfortunately it looks to need something a little smaller than what you have. I'm looking for a 2.25" diameter overarm with 4.25" center to center. I might be able to make your fit by offsetting bushings but I think that would be more work than just making one from scratch.

I just went through the list of British manufacturers, just in case one of theirs ended up here Stateside, but did not score a visual match. I wouldn't have thought it would be anything exotic, the fella that had it saved all sorts of junk that was getting thrown out, pulleys, key stock, pipe fittings, etc.

-Doug

Thank you for the tip. I Googled Kent-Owens (not familiar with them) and sure enough it does look like the overarm for one of the little production mills 2-20 or 1-8, etc. As such probably not a lot of demand for such so it may take a while to find it a new home. At least we now know what it is, thanks! -Doug

Back