What's new
What's new

Identification of old lathe

DaxH

Plastic
Hi
My dad brought an old lathe, and we need replacement change-wheels, but can't identify the machine.
If anyone can help with identifying, or locating appropriate parts for, this lathe, it would be very helpful.

Pictures are attached, but more are available at [email protected]
DSCF0011.jpg

The motor is obviously not original, and the mount is modified or added by a non-professional. There are also supports for a surface that match the stand, but the surface itself has been replaced with plywood. We think it is about 100 y/o, and it seems built for a treadle, but otherwise we know very little about it.

There is also a handle of a style I haven't seen on a lathe before, shown here. DSCF0010.jpg
If this style of handle has a name, or is used elsewhere, this would helpful even if you can't give any other information.

Can anyone help us narrow down what we have?

Thanks in advance,
Dax

Hi Dax,

I can see a brass plate on the front leg, probably a chart for screw cutting and gear selection? Have a good look at the top and bottom of the chart, there is sometimes a makers name there. It may not be obvious.

Please attach more photos, the more the better when trying to identify machinery.

Even if you find out who made it, it's very unlikely you'll be able to find make-specific parts unless you buy another lathe. It's almost certainly at least 100 years old and probably older. Do you mean the change gears? If so, and there is a threading chart, it will tell you how many teeth each gear had. If you calculate the diametrical pitch of the gear you have, all you need to do is fine gears with the same DP and number of teeth. Their diameter will be a product of those two numbers. You may have to alter the holes in some but, since you have a lathe, that shouldn't be too difficult.

Hey, Dax.

As previously mentioned, more photos will help tremendously. That plaque that Peter S noticed might have some really useful information on it.

Sent by telegraph using - .- .--. .- - .- .-.. -.-

Back