What's new
What's new

Identify a 16x48 Lodge & Shipley lathe .

Salmo salar

Plastic
I’m trying to find out info on this 16” Lodge and Shipley lathe . The guy says it’s a 1948 but he’s not quite sure . I want to know if it’s worth buying , how many hp it is , love to find the model number and if it’s considered a good lathe .not sure how to post pics

Thanks for the info . Is that the only difference between the both. On this one the plate says top spindle speed is 450. On the thread plate ( I think) top number is 128 and looks like 10 positions. I take it the x model is better and stronger . I’m going off of poor pics . It has a fairly large 4 jaw Chuck .?

450 = old or large

Here is a Model A from mid to early thirties

lathe.jpg

Here are the specs on the Model A from January 1937 showing less than 500 RPM top speed on the 16"

Specs scan.jpg

If you want a date - tell the seller you need the 5 digit serial stamped at right end between two REAR vee ways

Thank you for the info .Those specs matches this one perfectly. Can I have your opinion on this lathe . The RPM seems low to me for such a beast of a lathe .

Can I have your opinion on this lathe

Nearing ninety years old
They still sold plain spindle bearings then on the spindle - fine if in great shape, not worth fooling with if not - unless you would rather have a project than a lathe
Slow means just that - made for HSS (high speed steel). So learn to grind your own cutting tools - more project tasks
It is in no way a hard way machine - could be decent or slap worn out - and YOU have to decide which - hopefully before money changes hands

Here are those old bearings

Bearings ScanVsm.jpg

On Edit - to quote myself

If you want a date - tell the seller you need the 5 digit serial stamped at right end between two REAR vee ways

Post that here and we can date it

Last edited:

Back