What's new
What's new

Identify antique bench grinder

dundeeshopnut

Hot Rolled
Auction yields a new tool! Well not exactly new. No marks on it anywhere, arbor is 1" with square threads. Looks like it could handle a 10" or even a 12" stones or wheels. The wood base is really well made too and took 3 of us to load it in the truck. Any knowledge would be wonderful.002.jpg004.jpg005.jpg003.jpg

Looks like a very nice, serviceable set-up, if you can spare the floor space.Only suggestion I would make is to replace the grease cups with drip-feed oilers, or, failing that, clean out all the grease and put oil wicks in, and unscrew the caps and add a teaspoon of oil each time you use the grinder.

It's a bit "cobbled." The tool support on one side is a "banjo" from a woodworking lathe. If you measure where the tool rest inserts into the banjo, chances are it is 1" in diameter.

Actually not a bad setup. Might even be duplicated on the other side if you look around on Ebay.

Joe in NH

Thanks! The tool rest really looks original from the "patina" and fits perfectly. The bearings and arbor will need some love though, as it appears to have more than a couple of hours of run time on it.:D As I have an 8" Baldor for my day to day grinding needs and a couple of others with wire wheels and sharpening stones, my plan at the moment is to set her up as a buffer. Like most of my tools, I'll put it on skids so I can move it with the pallet jack to save floor space when I'm not using it.

Back