What's new
What's new

Another Help ID Small Lathe

Ed Hobbs

Cast Iron
Anybody know who might have made the small lathe in the attached pictures? It is 24 inches long and as you can see has a unique tool holder. Also legs are fairly long.

Only thing I can find on it is the number 435 hand stamped on the front of the compound. It has a collet holder and face plate.

Will edit and post pictures next.

Came with some foot powered stuff and the previous owner did not have any background on it.

Here are the pictures, I think.

Attachments

• PICT1196.JPG
    PICT1196.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 640
  • PICT1197.JPG
    PICT1197.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 229
  • PICT1198.JPG
    PICT1198.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 264
  • PICT1199.JPG
    PICT1199.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 279
  • PICT1200.JPG
    PICT1200.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 255
That guy has a little age on it. I first took the headstock pulley to be a v-belt. But now I see it was made for the round belting. That would put it at or before 1900 more or less.

Joe

The tool holder is of a type common on English lathes..... I'll have to look in my book on these little guys and see if it matches anything.

Ed,

I suspect that the tool clamp is the wrong way round in the photos. As Rivet says this type of tool clamp is/was common on small English lathes, but the wider end should be on the tool, giving two contact points, and the screw is a levelling screw for the clamp to acommodate different tool dimensions. The photo shows the clamp on my old Brackenbury and Austin lathe. The tool or Armstrong toolholder is held under the two arms on the clamp. The screw is used to level the clamp on the tool or tool holder.

Frank

Attachments

• Tool_Clamp2.jpg
    Tool_Clamp2.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 245

Back