What's new
What's new

Identifying my old lathe

FluxFace

Plastic
Hello. I have bought an old lathe and now I need help to find out what type and brand it is. unable to find any letters or numbers on it. If there is a need for more pictures, just let me know. Thanks for the help

Attachments

• 20210913_213055.jpg
    20210913_213055.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 227
  • 20210913_213128.jpg
    20210913_213128.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 279
If you have lots of free time you could go to "Lathes UK" and scroll through their archives. There are hundreds of old machine tools with detailed information which I have used for researching old machines many times.

Lathes + Machine Tool Archive

Dave

The sharp right angles on top of the apron seem out of place on such a rounded streamlined lathe. That feature may help identify it. What is the spindle nose? thread or cam lock? take a out a non critical bolt or nut and see if it is metric or English thread.
Bill D

One feature that implies a British mfg is that the carriage handwheel is to the right on the apron. American manufacturers favored left so you can look more manly with all the hot chip scars on your left hand, I presume.

Hi. The spindel nose are thread. I took out one of the bolts and the threads are Whitworth 12G

Its a removable block gap bed - probably why it has "wrong hand" carriage

FF - any lettering on doors on the cabinet legs?

No I can't find anything. The diagrams on the lathe is German writing. ( Laitspindel steigung, Hebel stellung, Vorschübe beim I angdrehen = 1/10 der Gewindesteigungen )

You could try these pages to see if you get a match
Oscar Ehrlich Lathes
Fischer Lathes
I it has been a while since I looked at them .
Also try a Forum Search of this forum for Erlich and Fischer
There are some other threads on them that may show some other similar models or leads to other makers.
Jim
I have tried searching through the forum and I have seen the sites you referred to, but I cannot find anything similar to my lathe. Oscar Ehrlich lathes have some parts that are similar to the parts on my lathe

Germans also used Whitworth thread pre 1930s for some things....Mauser rifles have the barrel tennon as a Whitworth thread form,and all the other threads in a 1939-45 Mauser K98k are inch threads.

One feature that implies a British mfg is that the carriage handwheel is to the right on the apron. American manufacturers favored left so you can look more manly with all the hot chip scars on your left hand, I presume.

Yeah but American gap bed lathes, such as a South Bend, had their hand wheel on the right as well.

Back