What's new
What's new

incomplete Rivet 8 / 608 value (looking to buy)

J Grainger

Cast Iron
incomplete Rivett 8 / 608 value (looking to buy)

Hello,

I've found a Rivet 8" precision which is missing a few parts (headstock gears/ backgears), bench, drive system. I'd need to build a complete bench and drive system and probably get a quote for the missing parts from (I think it's) Ohio Machine.. and the same for the change gears - I'd possibly convert the leadscrew to metric while at it.

The lathe looks tidy in the pictures, there's just the cost of all the missing bits. What is such a lathe worth to buy? It's a change gear model.

Being in the UK generally makes most manual machines pretty cheap as long as they're not a Myford or Harrison.

Thank you,

Jonathan

Last edited:
What you're buying is a "project." And while Rivet IS a "name" of some precision and attraction in the US, the Brit equivalence in cachet is considerably less. Not to say that someone such as yourself who is aware of the usefulness of such a machine might not step forward and decide to take on a project.

Around here (New England) I might expect such a lathe project to sell for less than $400. $400 is kind of the price point on any "functional" metal lathe of possibility - and given a lack of normal gears, which preclude normal use in metalworking, I would expect it to sell for less.

One imagines this lathe got "converted" to woodworking use. Someone literally taking a silk purse and turning it into a pigs ear. But when money is tight and one is determined, one does what one will without a lot of regard for the ultimate cost.

I would low-ball it. You can always increase your bid depending on how it is received.

In your favor negotiation wise is the fact that you want to "save" it - and restore it to a former use and glory. You should be quick to point this out.

That is - if you're truly interested in a "project."

Joe in NH

If it was in Joe's/my neck of the woods, and the spindle and other remaining bits were in good shape, I'd be really tempted to just throw a couple fairly large servomotors on the headstock and leadscrew and make a Frankenstein CNC lathe.

I'd likely convert the leadscrew to ballscrew, and if I was feeling ambitious do the same with a smaller servo/Bscrew for the X-axis. I wouldn't make any friends on the Antique forums, but I'd have a fun little toy...

Thanks for responding, this lathe was apparently owned as a spares machine to keep a couple of others running. The condition looks to be tidy so I think it's mostly just become a project machine through cost-saving on parts.. I'm expecting there must be some wear but it may have been inoperable before becoming worn out.

It was recently listed at the equivalent of $440 which is a bit much, and way more than my Hardinge BB59 cost including 3/4 of a spares lathe and new stuff.

I'd keep it as per the original design, but with a metric leadscrew (pretty necessary for horological work) and probably an updated toolpost.

You can get a few things from the supplier you mentioned, but you are going to be making gears for it, other than the back gear, which they DO have if you have deep pockets stuffed with money.

Honestly, you are just not going to get what you want, and I'd consider passing on it unless you can get it for a song, and have lots of time and energy.

BTW, the leadscrew issue is probably best handled by inserting a gear pair that adjusts leadscrew rotation to get whatever advance you want per turn, 1mm, 2mm, etc. Otherwise, you will be making another leadscrew as well.

By the end f the project, you will have made quite a bit of an 8 / 608 from scratch. At that point, you have an 8" lathe that has taken up a vast amount of time. That may not be your goal, quite.........

It's possible for me to make most parts, or it will be possible later in the year.. including the backgear - I just figured a company with experience in making batches of these parts would be able to make them cheaper than I can on manual machines.

I figured the value is probably closer to $200-250 if the condition is as good as it looks, or would that still be too much? It looks to be rust-free with no painted surfaces - the pictures suggest it's been stored indoors.

I'd like to take on the machine as a project but need to have an idea of value so I can make a sensible offer.

Just as a point of calibration, I bought a 608PV (takes 5C collets) some years back with nearly everything, just missing a few gears and has the back gears stripped, for $450. Roughish shape, I had to rescrape the crosslide assy. Next is the bed, now that I have a straightedge of a credible size, and should have enough time eventually. I would have done the re-scraping even if it were better, I want a good machine when it is done.

On a factory metal cabinet, has all the belt guards, the QCGB, collet closer tube (they fit in the spindle direct), etc. Another guy bought a similar one in fairly rough shape but with all parts for $1200.

Thank you JST, that's a useful reference. This example has a set of (pre 5C) imperial collets (inc a 1MT adaptor) and a back plate.. so that should add a bit to the value. Ultimately it's still a project lathe though, and I only fancy rather than need it.

I've not heard back from the seller so suspect he's got his specific figure in mind - maybe that's what he paid or something.. time will tell.

"Pre-5C" may be 4NS collets, rather rare these days (although I have a few and nothing that takes them).

The machine you are looking at is presumably of the time period that would use the "4NS", or the non-"New Style"" #4, and that is yet another consideration, as those machines were intended/expected to use collets for a lot of the work they would do.

I see Hardinge still sells the 4NS collets for a really high price but I'd machine an ER collet chuck to fit the spindle thread, that would allow metric bar stock and ER-32 is ideal for my mill.. Imperial sizes are available in the UK but there's more choice in metric.

I have a friend in New York state that has a 608 4NS lathe that is missing
the change gears, but is not in bad shape. He might sell it for a fair
price, but I see you are in the UK.

-Doozer

Thank you for the suggestion Doozer, the UK bit is a tough one but we have various random things, like being second in line for a Cataract Quick Change Swing prior to getting an old HLV some time ago..

I don't actually need any more lathes but would like to swap the HLV for something more along the lines of a Cataract QCS or Rivett - more general purpose to go with the BB59, but still a nice classic.

That link to Columbus Machine Works was interesting. Didn't know about that hometown operation. Link to an ornamental lathe off their home page, too. Click on "MADE Lathe"

If it's a precision 8 (pre 608 designation) it's also possible that it's 4OS collets, in which case if you dont already have the collets i wouldnt buy it at all except as a parts machine to use with another rivett lathe. 4OS collets are rare enough that you'll probably find a better machine, even in europe, before you find the collets. I've only got a few spare 4OS collets myself for my precision 8 and the capacity is quite limited. I've kept the precision 8 to compliment my 608 however since all the parts and whatnot are compatible.

Shame you are not here in the states, I think I have all the parts this thing needs. Even a complete headstock. BTW, machines of this age do not always have interchangeable parts so replacing a large part like a headstock might not be a bad idea. However this stuff is so heavy shipping would be way too expensive. It looks like a 4NS machine, the collets go to 5/8", I think the 4OS only went to 1/2" but would have to check.

Back