What's new
What's new

Industrial Tool & Die vertical Milling Machine

928gene928

Cast Iron
I have owned an Industrial Tool & Die vertical milling machine for many years, and was never able to locate any information about the machine or the manufacturer. Recently I discovered the the Smitsonion had a copy of an industrial brochure about the machine, and was able to secure a copy. I have attached a few pages from that brochure.
Through the years I have modified both the spindle drive and the bed to DC motors and speed controls, and installed a 4" riser block to raise the head away from the bed for additional working space.
The machine is very well constructed and has served me well.

Attachments

• mill3.jpg
    mill3.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 1,672
  • mill4.jpg
    mill4.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 1,059
  • mill2.jpg
    mill2.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 1,523
  • mill.jpg
    mill.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 602
  • mill1.jpg
    mill1.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 545
Neat! It looks like another of the 1950's era small industrial machines than came and went. In the post-WWII years there were a lot of small machine tool companies that tried to make their own niche. High quality, some nice design work, but not enough market. It's in the same class as the Diamond mills.

Allan,
FYI, the spindle collets are Brown & Sharpe #7. In the brochure they refer to the machine as: Model# 0-9 Combination Vertical Miller and Jig Borer. Good luck with your new machine, I think you will really like it. Now I know that here are at least two still around.

Another one!

I have owned an Industrial Tool & Die vertical milling machine for many years, and was never able to locate any information about the machine or the manufacturer.

Me too! I've had my mill for a while and was beginning to think it was a one of a kind. As you can see in the photos, the previous owner of my machine put riser blocks, none too fancy, on my machine too. It's a remarkably sturdy machine for its capacity and seems to be very high quality. I plan to give it the deluxe rehab treatment it deserves.

Frank

mill 002.jpgmill 001.jpg

this is great I finally know what mill I have glad to see others too. I am going to copy you block raiser the get more over table room. here is mine after complete restore took a couple weeks but well worth it. I use a vfd phase converter to run the 3 phase motor on top it works great very solid.
DSC04124.jpg

Gresh,
I was lucky to find a cast iron block, almost the exact size for the riser block. I had a friend machine both sides, drilled the holes and installed it. Afterwords I used a grinder to shape the block to match the taper of the original casting. After it was painted it looked like no spacer was ever added. I also noticed in the recent pictures that none of the machines have the small hand wheel on the front to lower the spindle like is shown in the brochure. I have noticed that my machine also has the slotted "pin" sticking out the front on the spindle without the hand wheel. Through the years I wondered what it was for; have to do some additional research to see if I can get it working as designed.

By chance, does anyone happen to know the specs on the auto feed motor? It was missing when I acquired mine and I would like to attempt to get it going again. Any info would be appreciated!

Neat little machines. They look to be of a slightly higher class than many of the post-WWII benchtop mill offerings (Benchmaster, Duro, ect).

Where was the Industrial Tool & Die Works located?

Andy

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Does anyone know the approximate weight on the Industrial tool and die milling machine. I have one in NH and would like to build or buy a mobile base for it. Does the brochure mention that at all? Thank you.

Back