What's new
What's new

Information sought regarding Elgin Vertical Mill VM-5

1dogandnoexes

Aluminum
I have a small Elgin Vertical mill. I believe the model is VM-5. I purchased it from a gentleman just outside Buffalo NY. He delivered it with a 3 phase 1725 r.p.m. motor. According to the literature I found, 1750 was an option but 1150 was the standard speed. The wear on some of the bits is simply excessive and I'd like to slow it down. I can't find any information regarding how many HP the mill should have. I'd like to step down to the standard speed of 1150, and would be thrilled to find an original replacement. Information on the right size motor would be appreciated, as would be any leads on finding an original motor.

If anyone has overhauled the table, I'd love to hear from you. There's a lot of wear to deal with moving on X and Y.

Attachments

• 20190303_163722.jpg
    20190303_163722.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 154
Mount a plate where the motor is that extends to the back and mount the motor on that facing up. Build up a bearing support for an intermediate shaft where the motor is now and mount a shaft there with the existing motor pulley in the position it is in now and put another set of cone pulleys on the motor and upper position on the new idler shaft. You will have a big range of speeds.

Thanks for the responses. I like the pulley idea because I understand it. I guess I will have to study VFD's a bit.

Anyhow, maybe this is the wrong forum, but I should ask whether or not I should solve a voltage problem created by my electrical service, which reads 247 volts across the two poles coming into my shop. The voltage coming out of the phases converter measures 267 volts. My brain tells me I should correct this issue first.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks for the responses. I like the pulley idea because I understand it. I guess I will have to study VFD's a bit.

Anyhow, maybe this is the wrong forum, but I should ask whether or not I should solve a voltage problem created by my electrical service, which reads 247 volts across the two poles coming into my shop. The voltage coming out of the phases converter measures 267 volts. My brain tells me I should correct this issue first.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks

Look up single phase to three phase VFD. That would remove your current phase converter and clean up your power as well.

PM has a forum dedicated to these issues: https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/transformers-phase-converters-and-vfd/

You may want to ask over there.

Don't be intimidated by the VFD. Yes, it can do a whole lot of things and it can get complicated; but you won't need those things. Just On_Off and speed-up and slow-down.

They guys on the forum will be able to help you with the wiring and operation.

A VFD is really the best solution.

If you live anywhere north of Richmond I'll be happy to help you program a VFD. I've done several different brands which doesn't make me an expert, but does give me an excuse to come look at your mill.

Thanks Frank, I'll visit that site and continue to learn.

b100: I'm here in Arlington, VA just behind the Pentagon; visitors are always welcome. Thanks for the offer with the VFD and I may take you up on it if the time comes. What I realized yesterday, though, while using the machine, is that the left/right feed needs more serious attention than I first realized. The lash is enormous and I think I want to start with that. If I can improve the left/right feed, I'll gain a better feel for the machine's capabilities before implementing other changes.

Back