What's new
What's new

Inherited a vertical bandsaw

jermfab

Cast Iron
A former tenant seems to have decided that I needed this bandsaw more than he did. He moved out last weekend and left this guy sitting on the loading dock. No idea if it works as I never knew him to use it, but it appears all the major pieces are there. I’m comfortable tuning vertical bandsaws, so no questions there, but I’m hoping someone out there can weigh in on the gearbox. It’s different from the gearbox on my Doall saw and from any I’ve ever seen before.

Here’s some pics:
cc9ab1c7ba6ddf7d529b1163ff28fd9e.jpg
155695b854d286cf8bfe6721350b9d6f.jpg
9428645841a0f6aa2b0c4f9cb55bbac9.jpg

Best guess is that there’s an additional reduction(?) inside the gear box when running from motor to the smaller sheaves on the gearbox? The only issue is that turning the smaller pulleys doesn’t turn the wheel when spun by hand. Clutch maybe? Any advice will be appreciated as always.

Jeremy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeremy
That is a Parks band saw and Sears Craftsman also sold them with there name on them. I think I have the manual but will have to look.
I had one in my home shop years ago.
In your photo the steel bar that is to the right under the V-belt needs to have its position changed to engage the gears. Loosen the nut and shift it while hand turning the pulley. Then re tighten the nut. I believe there is a set screw used to set the gear clearance also.
'llI dig for the manual if you need it. Or the manual might be on the Old machine site?

Andy

Back