What's new
What's new

Inquiry About Electro Mechano

esehi

Plastic
I need to start by saying that I am far from being a machinist or a machine shop guy. I've been looking through this forum for quite some time now because of the vast information contained on here. Truly amazing.

I will get to the point.

I have a need in my shop for a variable speed precision drill press. I was looking for something American made with a spindle throw of at least 4-1/2" and as little run out at full extension as possible.

I came across a machine made by Electro Mechano model number 601 that has a 6" spindle throw and it fits the bill. Longer is better in this case. Before purchasing this machine, I emailed and called the Electro Mechano company in Milwaukee to inquire about parts to no avail. No answer.

From what I gathered, I am pretty sure these Electro Mechano drill presses are highly regarded. I would like to have one in my shop and I can find my way around a machine repair as long as parts are available to be had. I also know when to stop and call in for help.
I would like to get this machine back into tip top running shape and I am willing to put in the time, effort and money in order to get it that way.

There is also an 801 model Electro Mechano that I would be interested in if one came up. I keep asking myself if the machine is worth it to me running into the same problem with finding parts. I can not run to a machinist every time a part is needed. Although, I may be willing to do that, within reason, if the machines are not known to be problem bound. They look like they are very well made. Any thoughts?
I've scoured the internet about this company and their machines. I called machine dealers and no one has ever heard of Electro Mechano.

What have I stumbled on to here? How is such a good American made machine so unknown and so difficult to get factory parts for?

Any information anyone can share would be great. I'm considering giving up on the Mechano to go with something like an old heavy and bulky variable speed Clausing. At this point, Solberga or something Swedish made is beginning to sound good.

It wold be very helpful f you told more about the work you plan to do with a "precision" drill press.

Drilling in general is not a very precise business. Holes come out only approximately on-size and location. For precise location, you need a jig, or a boring operation. For precise size, reaming, boring, or honing after you have a rough hole.

+or - .005", yes, a drill press. Much better than that, maybe you should be looking at something else.

Lots of people fall in love with a particular make and model of machine. I knew a guy once who said that an Allis-Chalmers model CA tractor was the only tractor for him, it was "the best". I am sure he walked past a lot of good, reasonably-priced tractors that would have done all his work, before he bought some worn-out, overpriced CA.

If you learn how to keep your drills sharp, and how to use it, I think any decent U.S. made drill press will do what you need.

Thank you all for the replies. My apologies again for my ignorance.

I will be drilling no less than 1/16" and no more than 1/4" diameter holes into acrylic or hardened rubber rods. The rods will vary in length from 5" to 10". The diameter of the rod stock will never be more than 1".

I will have a specially machined vice that attaches to an XY table to hold this type of work in place for drilling.

Around 150 - 300 RPM's are required for drilling as the material I am working with is heat sensitive. Higher speeds up to 1,000 RPM's and greater are also needed for very small bits in order to clear debris out of shallow indentions to replace accent pieces in the work.

After the holes are drilled, the work itself must spin precisely in order for the next step in the application to work properly. The holes drilled will serve as the rotational axis. Hence the need for precision equipment.

Also, the machine must be stable enough to hold another machined piece of equipment in the chuck. This piece of equipment is a specially designed cutter which is normally attached to a lathe. Although, I've had great success with it on a drill press. RPM's for this particular application can vary from 350 to 600.

The reason I had one of these Electro Mechano machines (either 601 or 801 model) in mind is because 1) weight is an issue. My shop is in an extra room on the second floor of my home. I feel comfortable with a machine that is not over 450 lbs. 2) I can get one at a price I am willing to pay.

I am asking a lot of this machine. I am pretty sure it is capable of doing everthing I need it to do. Also, it's American made. I do like that. Having and old made in the USA piece of equipment in my shop would be nice. I've heard good things about them and I'm willing to put the money into it and get it running up to par.

Is it a good idea for a non machine shop guy to get into one of these or is there a better option out there for me?

Back