What's new
What's new

Instructions for Installing a QC Gearbox onto a Logan 200 Lathe

John in OH

Aluminum
Not sure if this is the proper forum, but will give it a try here. Does anyone have a set of instructions describing the steps required to install a QC gearbox on a Logan Model 200 lathe? I suspect it shouldn't be too difficult, but if others have done it and made notes on the steps required, why reinvent the wheel??

I'm looking for specifics or help regarding the placing and aligning the QC gearbox, drilling the bed, modifying the leadscrew, headstock gearing required, etc. including any dimensions that may be available.

Units with a QCB use a different leadscrew from the change gear units like the 200. It is shorter, the amount shorter should be pretty much 'as needed", I do not know the exact amount.

The horizontal position should be such that the left side gearing is in the same location as it was, because the same gear mounting banjo etc is used.

The vertical position is, I believe, set by the QCGB box casting itself, it has a vertical and horizontal surface, both of which are in contact with the bed. The leadscrew for the models with the QCGB is out a bit farther, so for the 200, you may need to take off some material from the vertical face. This has some good information:

Install a Quick change gearbox on a Logan200 lathe

If you google search images using "logan lathe quick change gearbox", you will get a lot of images showing the way it is mounted, as well as the proper gear train for it, etc.

Back