Intact Gauge/indicator shop Waltham,MA - interest in the machines - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

More goodies-

A beautiful Union drill cabinet completely full of little bits, a cabinet full of small taps, and a treasure drawer of replacement parts- square thread screws and taps to repair cross slides and other wear items on the tools. Also a length of bronze casting to make new cross slide nuts. This is the stuff I'm most interested in, I have many slides that need repair

drill-cabinet-closed.jpgdrill-cabinet-open.jpgcabinet-tiny-taps.jpgslide-screws-parts.jpgnut-casting-blank.jpg

I also dug out many arbors for the P&W hand feed mills- 4 or 5 different length arbors and a few collets. There might be more collets in the attic, but not in as clean shape.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And lastly, the attic- Everything up here isn't as clean as the stuff that was out and being used but there is some stuff up here that would certainly be of interest.

Rolls of leather belting, a pile of flat belt cone pulleys, more countershaft parts, gears, extra lathe parts and whole machines not in use. It would take me all day just to categorize a lot of this stuff. Also up there are the casting patterns (both for in house manufactured lathe accessories and the indicator parts) and raw castings waiting to be machined. Pictures aren't the greatest, but here are a few

leather-belts-shelf.jpgcasting-patterns.jpgflat-belt-cone-pulleys-parts.jpggears-pulleys-parts-attic.jpgextra-parts-attic.jpg

3. Likes M.B. Naegle, Maltesehunter, jmp, rivett608 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ahh- and 1 more that wouldn't fit in the 5 photo limit-

Found in a Waltham watch safe in the basement, a very clean set of Johansson blocks and holders, with the original catalogs

johansson-block-sets.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Holy cow. Is the owner allowing you to purchase items here?

6. Likes Burton LeGeyt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Burton LeGeyt,
    Thanks for sharing the pictures .
    It's like looking in a time capsule.
    I hope a way can be found to keep as much as possible of the collection together.
    Jim

8. Likes Burton LeGeyt liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Concerning the topic of preservation and museums, the biggest hurtles I would see is cash and an interested party. Interested party is a lot more than a bunch of guys online. You need an individual or group of individuals willing to put in their own time doing the physical foot-work of documentation and sorting. They can outsource some tasks like photography, but the more outsourcing you do, the less funds you have for storage fees, media presentation, etc. Organizations and societies almost never have extra cash just floating around. They supplement that deficiency by finding more interested individuals that can volunteer time or skills.

IMO, the more pictures information that the OP can put on here, the more individuals like Burton LeGeyt can get in and do a little part, and the less likely that the "general public" will get in and squander the collection via antique shops and scrap yards. The idea of someone buying the whole lot would be the fantastic best case scenario. IMO the right buyer would be better than an historical organization, but the likelihood of either happening is very very slim. IMO, the most likely situation is what the OP is after; splitting up the collection between multiple good homes. That puts the lot in pieces more affordable and manageable.

I would say too that any castings, parts, patters, fixturing, prints, everything else that was special and specific to Randall and Stickney, should be kept together. Whoever buys a lathe or a bench, any custom pie-jaw collets or boxes of unfinished parts should be put aside and sold together to a similar interested party. My family business began as two companies we merged with our own shop, as they were in a similar position to where Randall and Stickney is now. We bought them because we had a personal interest in "restoring" the company, but they also had been run poorly for long enough that they were affordable, and there was room in the market to bring the company back. So there are people out there that would buy the shop as a whole, but I feel like my family is the odd exception. If the OP can sell off enough of the "generic" assets, then the remaining specialty assets can go on a couple pallets until the right buyer comes along.

10. Likes Burton LeGeyt, enginebill, reggie_obe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    Holy cow. Is the owner allowing you to purchase items here?
    There have already been a few sales from the building- a newer lathe and a big Greenerd press. As much as this seems like a nice long term preservation opportunity it is also an active estate cleanout- I'm deferring to Jim, Jgard911 from the thread here, who is trying to figure out what makes sense as far as how/when to sell everything. There are parts I am certainly (very) interested in, but I'm waiting to see what the overall plan is. I know people have already been making offers- The stuff I want I don't think of as particularly valuable, but if someone else thought so I don't want to take advantage.

In that vein, and in the event of any future sale, I'm finding it tricky to advise on pricing for a lot of this stuff. The Hardinge HSL and the DV59 are easier, there are current markets for those machines and you can put a reasonable price on them. What to ask for the antique bench lathes, even when very well tooled, is harder to guess. As much as possible I'm trying to accurately describe what is good about them so an interested person can make a reasonable decision. It's also fun and educational to get to see all this stuff and spend time in the shop before it gets broken up

Someone from the Charles River museum did do a walk through the other day but it didn't seem like there was any possibility of it staying together through them. I don't know that for a fact, but that's what it seemed like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I shouldn't ask this, but is there a price for all of it, old machines, casting, jig & fixtures, drawings, etc.?