Interesting Exposed Screw "Brown & Sharpe" style Shallow Frame Micrometer

0-2in, Decimal Inch.

Never seen another, and I missed it :(

CsDjvmd.jpg

cMGXmjH.jpg

6E7tgXh.jpg

Hd2fdBb.jpg

MhNfapt.jpg

Looks shop/craftsman made but a very cool size. I had posted about a huge open thread French mic I have.

Monster size French exposed thread micrometer...

Sorry about the photo thing, I need to find some time to re-posting them at the end of the threads.

Almost universally Brown & Sharpe marked their products. I have even seen early production pre-micrometer items - which were marked.

Perhaps we don't know the origins of unmarked so they never come to the notice of collectors? But certainly someone would have noticed "similarities?"

Nice though. Someone got a deal. That unusual slanted graduated dial may lead identification of others if indeed it was a production item.

Joe in NH

Looks shop/craftsman made but a very cool size. I had posted about a huge open thread French mic I have.

Monster size French exposed thread micrometer...

Sorry about the photo thing, I need to find some time to re-posting them at the end of the threads.

Odd French Mike, for sure.

During the 19th Century France had a healthy Machine Industry, that seems to have weakened considerably since.

Considering this newly discovered exposed screw mike was recently sold in the USA, and is graduated in typical American scale, I think the odds are it is American.

Perhaps even a B&S experiment. But we'll never know for certain.

JD_Townley01.jpg

I have an open thread 0-2" mic which likewise has 50 divisions on the barrel, but it has a crescent frame. Marked Townley & Sons, Birmingham. Whether they made it or just stamped and sold it, I don't know.

Conical Thimble

I'm thinking the Conical Thimble aids in reading the setting.

But if it really were such a great idea, I suppose we'd see it on other mikes.

To my knowledge this mike is unique in this feature.

I have seen others with that feature, also have some mics with a larger dia. Thimbles, it is so the numbers are farther apart hence easier to read. This feature is often on metric mics because they have more numbers stamped on them.

I think the mic in the original post is American, made by someone who saw the B & S example but no evidence to show it came from within the factory. Shame we don’t have our hands on it to compare the number stamps, B & S had their own slightly distinct stamps they used on about everything including factory prototypes.

Turns out I am the one who purchased the micrometer. I compared the numbers to a B&S 1884 patent micrometer and they appear to be identical.

Would love to see close up photos with the two side by side. I think the number stamps are almost like finger prints, it they are commercial stamps you can have a bunch of folks using them, if they are hand made or proprietary it limits where the item came from.

I remember when I first started collecting I was shown a group of Ames patent center squares and other tools by Gavin Holiday, he clearly made Them all based on the stamps.

Back