What's new
What's new

Interesting method of vaiable speed

I've seen friction discs before, but i think that's a first for a hemisphere :)

Bill

BTW This old Crofts Varispeed drive unit might be of interest

The plate reads:
-------------------------------------------------
Crofts C-JR Varispeed Control

ERECTION:- Set V-ropes on cone pulleys. Place Driven V-rope over driven pulley. Move lever towards motor and lock in position just short of full travel. Adjust C-JR unit until rope is tensioned correctly. Fit driving V-rope over motor pulley. Adjust motor on slide rails to tension rope. Check for alignment. Reset C-JR unit after 5 days to take up initial stretch of ropes

Lubrication:- Lubricate regularly. Use a good quality mineral grease. Cone face must be kept perfectly dry and free from oil or grease at all times.

Note:- Change speed only when unit is running. Operating lever must be moved over full travel at least once or twice every day when unit is running.
--------------------------------------------------

Attachments

• croft1.jpg
    croft1.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 568
  • croft2.jpg
    croft2.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 627
Very cool! I saw a disk variable speed unit while looking for information on my Barnes drill press, but that hemisphere rocks. Maybe I have a project where I can make one. :cheers:

Variable Drive DP

Although I have yet to restore this drill press, I expect it will perform as well as the black one that I restored and now have in service. It took a little doing to deliver all of the torque from the motor to the spindle, but after lightening the lube in the hemisphere bearing and applying belt dressing to the drive belt, I can now stall the motor under heavy load and in the highest ratio on the variable drive. I'm looking forward to putting this one into service as well, but it will most likely take another 150+ hours of hard work to restore. The Albany Hardware Specialty Mfg. Co. did a fantastic job designing and producing a very robust, functional and "user friendly" drill press. After looking for years to find a floor model, metal working drill press with sufficient capacity and, most of all, an excellent variable speed drive, I'm glad to have "stumbled" upon these AHS drill presses. Attached is DP #2 as purchased, DP #1 restored and DP #1 as purchased.

Attachments

• 100_2527.jpg
    100_2527.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 616
  • 100_2435.jpg
    100_2435.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 549
  • 100_2302.jpg
    100_2302.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 459
Drill Press

Is this what was supposed to be the last pic in the list of most recent photos?

VintageMachinery.org - Photo Index - Albany Hardware Specialty Manufacturing Co. - Variable Speed Drive

I can't get the link posted by Bodger to open, but I think the machine in the link posted by USMCPOP is this one: <US Patent 902635> issued to Morgan Saxton of Albany, Wisconsin, for "Gearing for Drill-Press" on October 20, 1908.

I have taken two of the patent drawings and put them side by side below.

Drillpress2.jpg

Robert Grauman

AHS DP in CA

I can't get the link posted by Bodger to open, but I think the machine in the link posted by USMCPOP is this one: <US Patent 902635> issued to Morgan Saxton of Albany, Wisconsin, for "Gearing for Drill-Press" on October 20, 1908.

I have taken two of the patent drawings and put them side by side below.

Drillpress2.jpg

Robert Grauman

While doing some research on this DP and AHS Mfg. I found out that there is an AHS DP exactly like the one pictured in this patent in CA. Here are some pictures that the owner, John Chadwick, sent to me. He told me that he's owned and used it for many years and is very attached to it. He also knows some of the history of the company, so I'm trying to work with him to put a paper together in an effort to preserve as much history as possible before it disappears.

Attachments

• IMG_0240 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0240 - Copy.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_0235 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0235 - Copy.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_0237.JPG
    IMG_0237.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 263
Drive wheels

Although I have yet to restore this drill press, I expect it will perform as well as the black one that I restored and now have in service. It took a little doing to deliver all of the torque from the motor to the spindle, but after lightening the lube in the hemisphere bearing and applying belt dressing to the drive belt, I can now stall the motor under heavy load and in the highest ratio on the variable drive. I'm looking forward to putting this one into service as well, but it will most likely take another 150+ hours of hard work to restore. The Albany Hardware Specialty Mfg. Co. did a fantastic job designing and producing a very robust, functional and "user friendly" drill press. After looking for years to find a floor model, metal working drill press with sufficient capacity and, most of all, an excellent variable speed drive, I'm glad to have "stumbled" upon these AHS drill presses. Attached is DP #2 as purchased, DP #1 restored and DP #1 as purchased.

I'm interested in the composition of the two drive wheels? Do they slip under pressure?

While doing some research on this DP and AHS Mfg. I found out that there is an AHS DP exactly like the one pictured in this patent in CA. Here are some pictures that the owner, John Chadwick, sent to me. He told me that he's owned and used it for many years and is very attached to it. He also knows some of the history of the company, so I'm trying to work with him to put a paper together in an effort to preserve as much history as possible before it disappears.
the patent link is not understandable it is coded or completely modified from English to maybe clingon,

How did you determine that the friction material on the drive and driven wheels is leather? The material on both of my machines is an unknown composite that appears to have been formed around a center hub and is contained on both sides by shoulders/collars. The cross section is "T" shaped. Fortunately, all of the friction surfaces are in great shape and I haven't had to do any repair work on them. I think it would be a big undertaking to replace the friction material due to its design. - As for slippage, no, they don't slip any more than a "V" belt application. I've been able to stall the 1 hp electric motors on both machines when the flat belt that drives the cross shaft is correctly adjusted. Flat belt tension is important to getting full power to the spindle. Belt dressing comes in handy when the belt stretches or wears and can be used to put off shortening the belt, at least for a while. The machine I sold has adjustable feet that facilitates belt tension adjustment. It appears to be an original feature from the factory, but I could be wrong. The machine I still have did not come with this feature. I hope this helps. Feel free to contact me with any other questions or comments.

Hi Mel in WA, After reviewing my response to your question about the leather contact surfaces on the 2 drive wheels, I realized that my first line sounds a bit rude, which it's certainly not intended to be. I could have phrased it better. With that being cleared up, I hope, I'm curious about the reference to leather on the drive and driven wheels. It's possible that the wheels have been 'repaired' at some point, and leather may have been used. It would be a logical choice of material. I only wanted to point out that the OEM friction material appears to be a composite and is more complicated than a strip of material on the circumference of the wheels. I would really like to know exactly what it is myself but have been unable to find out. I hope this helps clear the air.

Back