What's new
What's new

Interesting old track torch

true temper

Stainless
I bought this at the auction Saturday, never seen one like it,
Needs a bit of work but I thought it was cool.
74e8d8f41baa822052c5cd9b29db8272.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No tracks included this time.
Years ago I bought a really nice Victor it didn’t include a track either I started making one but I needed to use it before I was finished cutting the grooves. I took a piece of nice shelf board run it through the tablesaw been using that ever since probably never finish the one I started to build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wooden shelf board track won’t work with this one, the fire is too close to the drive wheel

Yeah I got two globes with in the lot of stuff i bought.
0f17bc80d4f43939adfb4873bf13c526.jpg
c359cf2bf83b66aa84ddf88a52a58d2c.jpg
I passed on the complete acetylene generator probably should’ve bought it to it was as nice as one of I’ve ever seen.

Been awhile since I saw a generator.... I worked at a plant one time that used a huge one for their torches and the gas was piped all around...I wonder if you can still buy carbide anywhere..Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

How about Amazon of all places ..I have to ask ;- whatever next :rolleyes5:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Calcium-Carbide-caving-acetylene-production/dp/B00BW9LLI8

Seems like the carbide I remember for those generators came in metal cans with lids on them and they were more like good sized rocks... The smaller stuff was used in things like miner's carbide lamps...I think Union Carbide use to market the stuff for welding generators....Last time I saw that stuff was probably early seventies..Water dripped on the carbide in the generator when the handle was raised on top as I recall. Now and then the bottom of the generator had to be cleaned out with a water hose to remove the "mud".... Ramsay 1:)

I would guess that there is a pair of Indian 641/741 military model wheels there.....couldnt find my copy of "The Iron Redskin",but I reckon Im right.Current value of the wheels here would be $600 +........when Im at an auction,I always search out old oxy trolleys for bike or car wheels.

Yes, looks like a Goodyear Grasshopper. I see rivet holes, that might have had a sprocket riveted on.

FWIW, the Grasshoppers are being reproduced. And copied.

I wish Firestone would make the Town and Country car tyre again firestone town and country tyres - Google Search

Not only were they good at what they did, given an unladen van, a wet road, a heavy right boot and they could turn any underpowered piece of junk in to a driftin demon :)

Back to the Op, the pix has a bunch of other stuff in it, but I think you may have this:
"Tracer-1" scan (rather dark, I have the book, so could re-scan if needed)
shows a hand "powered" torch, with the big wheel like your pix shows.
Modern version is the Koike "handy auto".

second scan is showing the legs I saw in the background (of your pix) is from a small spindle tracer machine (intended to be portable)

EDIT: Your pixs have come thru better, I don't have that machine pix, as it is a "Linde"
not an Airco

Attachments

• Airco-Tracer-2.jpg
    Airco-Tracer-2.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Airco-Tracer-1.jpg
    Airco-Tracer-1.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 88
Another treasure from the auction, something I have never seen or know what it was used for.
The guys on home shop forum figured it out to be part of a tool to grind the crankshaft in your car with out taking it out. You put rollers under drive wheel and put transmission in gear, rotating engine to use portable crank grinder.
I would have never figured that one out. My how times have changed!!
71cc4648bcaca3b1f809f083d8153ff6.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back