What's new
What's new

Interesting old Tumico caliper

Thank God for satin chrome. I could not stand looking at those graduations all day.

I'm happiest to look at some of mine but once in several YEARS. Anything needs more frequent use SHOULD be modern electronic.

Scarfing up "old tech" that holds whatever accuracy it has in the larger sizes I so seldom use works at leaving money for better goods I DO use and don't mind putting the odd battery into now and then atall.

those old-ass calipers suck-ass .
misery is the word.

i have one of these Japan-made kanon 24" , i paid about $65 incl shipping.
fifty-grads vernier,two-inches long , i can read it w/ my eyes closed.
other thans some name etched on the back , mint condition.

C'mon! 24"?

Most 'ere can afford electronic with zero at touch of a button, inch/metric the same, and NO eyestrain. Some can capture and store a reading whlst you wiggle in or out of an awkward spot.

It's the 24", 36" and UP that you do NOT need but very rarely that leave a place for "direct" verniers (AND NOT fragile geared "dial type").

Not much to go wrong, year-in-year-out. No real money in 'em if you trash one.

lots of jibberish! thats ok, too....the op's direction was about he thought old
verniers seemed cool and i said he might want to rethink , because they can be
miserable to read if you actually are trying to measure something..when the lines
are waaaay too close together!

i like digital scales too. but as has been said- i probably break out the ol'
24" vernier maybe once a month, so chances of fouling the battery are high.

cheers..

miserable to read if you actually are trying to measure something..when the lines
They can be "cool"

Most of mine are NOT "too close" together for unaided 20/20 vision.

Even with 20/15 "bionic" eyes now, I ain't too proud to flip-on 3 or 4 Diopter folding granny glasses or reach for the 8X "watchmakers" loupe (spring headband).

"Tenth" reading mics are no picnic, either, and those get used a LOT more.

Why aggravate yerself when assistance is simple, cheap, and handy?

I doubt Ray is still trying to pass for 25 or date 18-year olds any more than I am!

Damned hair die messes up yer beard, and Butchers White Diamond bowling alley paste wax makes yer naked scalp too slippery for 'em to plant a proper lightning-bolt of a kiss onto anyway..

You poor handicapped folk with HAIR haven't LIVED 'til you've had that sort of "starter button" pushed!

:D

i'll see ya at the dollar tree, getting my 1.75 mag readers, i had my eye exam
but all they said was i can't see stuff up-close . ..........no fucking shit?
i could'a toldem that. i'll stick with my 25 yr old MTI digimatics , but for
the foot-plus 1/1000 measuring scale , the kanon 24 is grape.

Way back when I was driving a 54" Bullard Dynatrol, as an apprentice,
I used to fix many production parts that the regular employees missed
the dia. by .050

Yup, they would make a run of 6-20 parts, all within .002 on the dia.
but .050 over, they missed the line on those %$#@! Verniers.
They would check the first one with the verniers, then just follow the dials
(on the Bullards) for every part afterward.

So I got good practice dialing in each and every part, just to remove .050
I couldn't use the rabbet ring fixtures, they were in use.

I don't like verniers, and I absolutely HATE Pi tapes.

I use a Tumico caliper just like that on a daily basis. I make a series of flow restrictors that a nitrogen generator company uses to replace valves. The problem with adjustable valves is that customers open them to get more flow and things happen like activated carbon dust blowing through the whole system. These parts don't allow changes. They amount to tubes with an end closed off. I make them in batches and bore the holes in the end to the proper opening for each installation as they come up. Since the control is in the hole in the blocked off end, the rest of the bore is not critical, but I do have to hold a reasonable tolerance. The typical electronic calipers are miserable for the measurement because they have to be aligned in three axes. Holding the step in the blades against the end and a little rocking will get a reading within a couple of thousandths quickly and with little effort.

In a similar manner, the Mauser style calipers are easy to use for measuring a hole in a plate. They fit squarely on the plate and only need to be centered in one plane. Then some imbecile decided that there should be a lock screw on that side, destroying their use in that manner.

Bill

i have these. i like them and wonder why not all calipers are made like that. they are too big for everyday use though (30 cm).

Attachments

• 0 030.jpg
    0 030.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 147

i like digital scales too. but as has been said- i probably break out the ol'
24" vernier maybe once a month, so chances of fouling the battery are high.

cheers..

Believe me when I say , I have NO desire to have such a contraption. Just thought it interesting.

We had a set like that at my last job. They were some of the smaller ones we used there. I was told to get a cheap magnifying glass for some of the harder to read verniers we had. I forget what the largest ones were but i almost tripped stepping out of the machine with them once ha.

I've got some old Starretts that are near identical to that Tumico. Work fine with a hand lens, but useless to my eyes any other way. A decent set, just like the similar Starrett height gages, can be read to 0.0005".

I've got some old Starretts that are near identical to that Tumico. Work fine with a hand lens, but useless to my eyes any other way. A decent set, just like the similar Starrett height gages, can be read to 0.0005".

Yes, Conrad - one can "read" them to that.

But I've got a B&S Heighticator and several sets of gage blocks that would show they cannot reliably be TRUSTED for that reading to be quite that "real". If even it is a good enough day to get THAT lot to not unduly disagree with each other.

Each step of pushing a decimal point one more magnitude raises the TIME it takes to get good readings, the cost of the metrology, or both.

Rarely is it so simple as picking up a different mic or using a stronger glass.

TANSTAAFL

"User friendly" or not, they do have their uses. There's worse metrology to be "unfond of".

Try transit & stadia rod, pre-laser, GPS, and such. And you be the rod man, not the eyballer. In Pennsyltucky prickly-pear thickets, yet!

:(

1. Keeping the %$#@! tape in positon on a dia. on the BACKSIDE of a 54" bullard.
(usually 2'-3' above the chuck)
2. Having the blood run out of your thumbs, trying to keep it pulled tight
(whilst it tries to slip down the back of the aforementioned bullard)
While you attempt to bring the ends past each other to squint in vain looking for the leetle lines.

Last edited:
1. Keeping the %$#@! tape in positon on a dia. on the BACKSIDE of a 54" bullard.
(usually 2'-3' above the chuck)
2. Having the blood run out of your thumbs, trying to keep it pulled tight
(whilst it tries to slip down the back of the aforementioned bullard)
While you attempt tp bring the ends past each other to squint in vain looking for the leetle lines.

Well jeez, Doug. If it was EASY it wouldn't pay them BIG BUCKS!

oooohh .. today's wages? That WAS a dirty joke, now wazzn' it?

Back