What's new
What's new

Interesting Slocomb Mics

Ways Walkin

Plastic
Hello machine people, this is my first post.

I've assembled this small collection of Slocomb mics. Not sure if the V-anvil is original, it sure looks proffesionally made though. The one shown with the dimes, in case it wasn't obvious is a 1-2, but its so big it's comical! the spindle is 3/8 I think, maybe .343. The double I think is the most common of these three, but i don't know to much about it.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• vside.jpg
    vside.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 243
  • vbottom.jpg
    vbottom.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 239
  • dual.jpg
    dual.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 265
  • jumbo.jpg
    jumbo.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 252
The double spindle mic was intended to be a sort of ad hoc go-no go gage. Mitutoyo also made a version of this.

In practice, it wasn't that well an accepted idea since the spindles would wear fairly rapidly in a regular production application. Regular go-no go gages have a much larger (thus more wear resistant) gaging surface -- and the hardened wear pads are easily replaced.

Might be a good gift for someone in the medical industry, though. That way you could always get a second opinion.

Hello machine people, this is my first post.

I've assembled this small collection of Slocomb mics. Not sure if the V-anvil is original, it sure looks proffesionally made though. The one shown with the dimes, in case it wasn't obvious is a 1-2, but its so big it's comical! the spindle is 3/8 I think, maybe .343. The double I think is the most common of these three, but i don't know to much about it.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

The Double Thimble is fascinating !

I've seen Slocomb Dual Thimbles before, but they all had Setscrews - which easily fell off to be lost.

Might be a good gift for someone in the medical industry, though. That way you could always get a second opinion.

I love that thought. I'd have paid good money to pull that joke back when I was an inspector.

This is a pair of an earlier version of the Slocomb Dual Thimble Micrometers.

Though I could be wrong....

M1KHXXz.jpg
Sl9a66t.jpg

Back