What's new
What's new

Interesting "vintage metal planer" listed (not mine)

standardparts

Diamond
Not mine and hopefully posting a link does not violate any rules. Pretty interesting setup.

" FOR SALE A VINTAGE METAL PLANER IT IS IN GREAT SHAPE AND IN WORKING ORDER IT HASS AAL THE ORIGINAL SCRAPING ON THE BRIDGE PART, I HAVE IT UNDER POWER FOR INSPECTION .
IT WAS RETRO FITTED WITH A 4 AXIS DRO AND A VFD THE RUNS IT NOW , I DO HAVE ALL THE ORIGINAL COMPONENTS SO IT CAN BE RUN AS IT WAS ORIGINALLY ." (more details in description) Says it was setup to do milling machine tables.

VINTAGE METAL PLANER - tools - by owner - sale

That looks similar to the circa 1890's G.A. Gray planer we have in the machine shop at Knight Foundry. No scrapping marks on ours, wonder if the ones on this are in fact original. Ours is line shaft driven. Not entirely clear to me how this one's drive works.

Can someone who is more adept at such things save these pictures to this forum so they don't go away?

(on edit) In this thread https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...erial-number-335021/?highlight=Knight+Foundry post #7, there is a picture of our Gray planer. I see that in this thread, based on Cope's _American Planer, Shaper and Slotter Builders_, ours looks like it dates from 1899.

David

Last edited:
I've have the pictures saved to my hard drive. They are too big to up load here. Will have to shrink the file size and post later. Unless someone else beats me to it. Ken

Attachments

• 00n0n_i4ZaK8R14Yzz_0CI0pO_600x450.jpg
    00n0n_i4ZaK8R14Yzz_0CI0pO_600x450.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 00n0n_5R7ztrc5voXz_0CI0pO_600x450.jpg
    00n0n_5R7ztrc5voXz_0CI0pO_600x450.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 01717_ebkjKzvSJ0Iz_0CI0pO_600x450.jpg
    01717_ebkjKzvSJ0Iz_0CI0pO_600x450.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 114
  • 01616_j1gvrStT2zoz_0CI0pO_600x450 (1).jpg
    01616_j1gvrStT2zoz_0CI0pO_600x450 (1).jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 128
That looks similar to the circa 1890's G.A. Gray planer we have in the machine shop at Knight Foundry. No scrapping marks on ours, wonder if the ones on this are in fact original. Ours is line shaft driven. Not entirely clear to me how this one's drive works.

Can someone who is more adept at such things save these pictures to this forum so they don't go away?

(on edit) In this thread https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...erial-number-335021/?highlight=Knight+Foundry post #7, there is a picture of our Gray planer. I see that in this thread, based on Cope's _American Planer, Shaper and Slotter Builders_, ours looks like it dates from 1899.

David

I’m with you on the scraping on the cross rail. It looks a little bit too new.

Regards Tyrone.

Here is the entire text of the add:
I HAVE FOR SALE A VINTAGE METAL PLANER IT IS IN GREAT SHAPE AND IN WORKING ORDER IT HASS AAL THE ORIGINAL SCRAPING ON THE BRIDGE PART, I HAVE IT UNDER POWER FOR INSPECTION .
IT WAS RETRO FITTED WITH A 4 AXIS DRO AND A VFD THE RUNS IT NOW , I DO HAVE ALL THE ORIGINAL COMPONENTS SO IT CAN BE RUN AS IT WAS ORIGINALLY .
I WILL INCLUDE ALL THE TOOLING THE I HAVE FOR IT PLUS A BRIDGEPORT HEAD AND A GRINDING HEAD THE WILL MAKE IT WORK LIKE A SURFACE GRINDER (NOT IN THE PHOTOS) .
IT HAS A TABLE OF 20 INCH X 6 FEET .
I USED IT TO FIX MILLING MACHINES TABLES , KNEES , SADDLES ETC , I WAS ABLE TO GRIND A 48 INCH TABLE WITHIN .0002 EXTREMELY ACCURATE .

Swatkins (member on here) made a DRO for the downfeed on his plainer out of a digital caliper. .0002" isn't impossible on these machines, but it's 99% in your set-up and the operator. Being able to actually see tenths of movement helps, even if the machine isn't going to hold it.

Back