What's new
What's new

Intro and new Gorton

Krusty

Plastic
Hi gang,

I am not a machinist but a tinkerer whose projects now require a bit more machine work. Found a Gorton universal head I will be bringing home Sat. Not sure if it is an 8-1/2D or 9J yet as it was against the wall. There was only 1 collet but that should get me started. It does not look abused at all so here is hoping it will serve me well!

Krusty,

gorton.jpg

Its currently set up to run off 440v but for those who have one, can the 3PH motors be run off 220v 3PH? Would make life much simpler!

Well, a lot of the Gortons had 2 speed motors, which are usually either 440V or 220V only. However, single speed motors can often be wired for either voltage. The motor nameplate will give you the information and the wiring diagram for voltages. Don’t forget the feed motor as well.

That looks like an 8 1/2D with the universal (tilting) head. The 9J has a pretty hefty column, and while it was available with a universal head, I feel like it was not as common as the fixed sliding head. The spindle looks to be a 9 Brown & Sharpe taper with a collet adapter (maybe Gorton or ER) in place. The drawbar at the top can be loosened and backed off to eject the adaptor. 9 B & S and 30 NMTB were the common options for the 8 1/2D.

Excellent find.

That's a 9-J mill with a 8-1/2D universal head mounted on it. My family had one many moons ago. Nice mill!!! to have. Unfortunately, it has a No. 9 B & S spindle. Could easily be reground to a R-8 spindle. The spindle is rock hard! Those came with two speed motors, so if it says 440V it can't be run off of 220V. Will have to either have the motor rewound, as we did, or wire up a step up transformer to run it off of. Ken

Back