What's new
What's new

I've died and gone to Heaven! Axelson Lathes EVERYWHERE

Wow that place is awesome, I love my 20" axelson, use it weekly.

I sure would like to add that little one to the shop,are any of the other ones for sale mr steve?

There are some..... I can get you in touch with the broker... BUT BEWARE make sure you get everything in writing and be a hard ass about it... I got shafted on the tooling.... IF the machine had not been on the Riggers forklift I would have walked away.....

What did you pay for it?

I take all the tooling and manuals the second I pay for it (learned that lesson early on).

Doing your own rigging makes it a lot more affordable to just walk away if the seller tries to change terms on you mid way through the deal.

I had a seller agree to load. This was a big job, two 53' semi loads of machines and support equipment. About 6 hours into loading he parks the forklift, pulls the keys, shows me he's carrying a 1911 and demands I give him another $2000 to get back on the forklift or he's leaving. My partner showed off his .357 and we agreed on $1000. That was the LAST time I did not do my own rigging.

I bought my Axelson bare and probably spent much more on tooling for it than I did the lathe. They do make money though. My 10' bed Pacemaker is set up with a 16" 4 jaw and DRO and a nice 3 jaw lives on my Axelson. Both make a lot of parts. I estimate jobs at $100/hr and usually make $150/hr+ in the time it actually takes.

There's your handle Steve!!! Just cost you $6500!!!

Attachments

• 00a0a_kbKzfan0iNm_50x50c.jpg
    00a0a_kbKzfan0iNm_50x50c.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 885
  • 00a0a_kbKzfan0iNm_1200x900.jpg
    00a0a_kbKzfan0iNm_1200x900.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 228
I was at an auction last November 7th in Portland, OR. The auction company was American Auctioneers Group. Both of these Axelson lathes and the chucks sold for a hammer price of $1000.00. The first lathe is an 18x103 and the second lathe is a 16x80. I didn't bid on the Axelsons. However I did end up with the manuals for them as well as the original receipt from when it was purchased by the company in the mid fifties. The buyer didn't take them and they were going to be tossed in to the trash along with an entire file cabinet drawer of other manuals and sales brochures that I also grabbed. I did buy the 16x78 Pacemaker and the 9x36 Hole Wizard (I went to the auction just for the Hole Wizard) as well as a bunch of other stuff.

Axelson lathe #1 18x103.jpgAxelson lathe #2 16x80.jpgAxelson lathe #3 chucks.jpg

Attachments

• American Pacemaker 16x78.jpg
    American Pacemaker 16x78.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 210
  • ATW Hole Wizard 9x36.jpg
    ATW Hole Wizard 9x36.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 201
There were two other Axelson lathes at the same auction but I don't remember how much they sold for. The first lathe had a 25" swing with 120" between centers and the second one had a 59" swing with 96" between centers. It has a 14" factory done riser installed to give it the larger swing.

Axelson lathe #4 25x16 foot.jpgAxelson lathe #5 32x168.jpg

The dealer wants $6500. Coolant pump is not wired up, no taper attachment, top speed of 890.

I may regret this, but here's the link.

Axelson 19 X 73 Engine Metal Lathe

Axelson 19 X 73 Engine Metal Lathe - business/commercial - by owner...

Sent from my S61 using Tapatalk

I have one that is years newer, Higher speeds, everything works and is only missing a handle and bed clamp for the taper attachment. Came with two chucks and some tooling and it cost me right at 6000.00 delivered and skated into my shop...

Feel the inside of the V rail that the saddle rides on, the one closest to the handles of the machine. That is the place the most force is placed on the machine as it is cutting. The condition of that rail will tell you how worn it is...

I was at an auction last November 7th in Portland, OR. The auction company was American Auctioneers Group. Both of these Axelson lathes and the chucks sold for a hammer price of $1000.00. The first lathe is an 18x103 and the second lathe is a 16x80. I didn't bid on the Axelsons. However I did end up with the manuals for them as well as the original receipt from when it was purchased by the company in the mid fifties. The buyer didn't take them and they were going to be tossed in to the trash along with an entire file cabinet drawer of other manuals and sales brochures that I also grabbed. I did buy the 16x78 Pacemaker and the 9x36 Hole Wizard (I went to the auction just for the Hole Wizard) as well as a bunch of other stuff.

View attachment 293320View attachment 293321View attachment 293322

I guess I'm glad I didn't hear about that auction.

Houston we have a Problem!

Well it is probably fixable.... I tested every speed at the shop before I purchased it.. Hooked up the power last night and I seem to be missing some of the speeds :(

Going to have to take off the top. I guess it's a blessing in that I can suck out all the old oil and really clean it up. Might be a few days as I ordered a good oil extraction unit tonight and it might take a while to arrive....

After watching your video of the riggers moving it, I am reminded why I move everything by myself. Yup, it is slow and I am worn out, but I can take it slow and easy. And I have nobody to blame but myself, should bad things happen.

Back