What's new
What's new

J.H.Williams Tool Holders - Is there a catalog?

dalmatiangirl61

Diamond
Some years ago when I packed all the tooling for the Standard Modern lathe there was a tool I had never seen before, it was different enough I made a mental note and was not sure how to sharpen a tool blank for it. I unpacked those tools this week, and I'm not finding that tool. I looked at the catalog on vintage machinery and its not there, found another catalog on the web and its not there either, not sure if either catalog covers every tool they made.

Starting to wonder if I dreamt it after a day of packing tools:confused:, not sure if I lost a box, or lost my mind, seem to remember there being more lathe dogs too. So is there a definitive catalog of every type of lathe tool made by J.H.Williams?

Ill check our filing cabinet tomorrow. Got all kinds of stuff clear back to the 50s in it.

Limy, that is the other catalog I saw, and its not there. Drawing below of what I remember, what ever thats worth, it had an unground tool in it, cannot remember in which orientation it held the tool, second pic would be looking at it from above. Like I said, it made me stop and think for a second as I had not seen that, then I would have wrapped it in paper. In the box I unpacked there was a straight, RH, LH turning tools, cut-off, threading, knurling tool, all common stuff, + only 2 lathe dogs. If you had asked me on Monday how many lathe dogs there were I would have said "I don't know", but if you had asked if I had packed tool below, I would have sworn yes:nutter:.

If someone can ID that tool I'm missing a box, if you guys say it does not exist, I will chalk it up to vivid dreams induced by heat delirium:ill:

Attachments

• toolholder 1.jpg
    toolholder 1.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 150
  • toolholder 2.jpg
    toolholder 2.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 152
I have seen drawings or photos of that diamond style tool holder in books but I have not seen one in person. It probably wasn't Williams but a generic style. I googled diamond lathe tool holder and I found modern versions but not a Williams.

Dalmatiangirl61 -

I have a tool flyer that came with my January 1945 Heavy 10, dated 1943, from Williams. Shows the same items as the larger catalog linked to above but nothing like what you sketched. Just another data point.

Glad I'm not the only one who remembers things that sometimes turn up different at a later time. Hang in there - we can't be wrong!

Dale

I seem to recall seeing an older US-made holder, or perhaps an ad for the same, in that style. Do not remember the manufacturers name, but it wasn't Williams.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I coulda swore I had a straight holder like that, where the bit extended down and out through the bottom of the shank, and flew back up to my shop to take a picture of it~ but no dice. I couldn't find it.

I've got Armstrong and Williams, both... and there is a pair of straight holders that (already forgot which maker) are marked something along the lines of "Tungsten Carbide...." and I don't remember the rest of the wording~ or the number, but I'm supposing that they were made when Carbide tipped tools were being introduced

Lot of good that trip did ;)

I coulda swore I had a straight holder like that, where the bit extended down and out through the bottom of the shank, and flew back up to my shop to take a picture of it~ but no dice. I couldn't find it.

I've got Armstrong and Williams, both... and there is a pair of straight holders that (already forgot which maker) are marked something along the lines of "Tungsten Carbide...." and I don't remember the rest of the wording~ or the number, but I'm supposing that they were made when Carbide tipped tools were being introduced
Lot of good that trip did ;)

This was a good trip. Yes diamond and further transendental- I have trouble with that word too. I think it originated from Australia. Powerful working if you can find the tool holder.
We could grind the tool to many dish shaped edges. It was really perfect for that.

The stature of the tool , well you know. Grind a hollow out the middle and create different shapes.

From the Merriam Webster dictionary "In geometry, a tangent is a straight line that touches a curve at a single point. So we say that someone who starts talking about one thing and gets sidetracked has gone off on a tangent. The new subject is tangential to the first subject—it touches it and moves off in a different direction."

Tangential | Definition of Tangential by Merriam-Webster

I'm liking it and everything makes sense. It is a super powerful tool.

What I am trying to say is that shapers Can Pull the the cutting edge and the motors run backwards.That explains a few things. Remember draw knives and draw saws.

Back