What's new
What's new

just bought 1st lathe - what make/model is this?

Savedbygrace77

Aluminum
Hi guys - first post here! picked up a lathe today for 60 bucks, missing tail stock, toolpost and gbox / reverse gear - motor also separate.. Guy said it was a 50s logan but not 100% sure -

Can anyone id this make/model?

20180715_192519.jpg

20180715_192758.jpg

20180715_192722.jpg

Don't think it is a Logan,more like $60 worth of scrap iron given the missing parts ! And the fact the spindle has been bastardized .

May very well end up being a useful lathe. I would be itchin' to try it...
Good luck!

Dunno what brand it is, but the carriage reminds me of my first lathe, a South Bend 9".

EDIT: Above post shows it is a SB!

Last edited:
alot of the parts look like logan parts.. I measured a 9" swing and bed length is about 35". Hoping some1 will chime in :0

For $50 start cost you can afford to replace missing parts.

I agree. But, before purchasing random parts, I'd suggest that you first check the conditions of the bearings. I really fear that they have been driven way too fast without adequate lubrication. If that's the case, it's probably more convenient to shop for a replacement headstock, considering that this is Savedbygrace77's first lathe.

Paolo

Hi guys - thanks for the replies.. yes it seems they put ona v belt spindle, but im hard pressed to look for parts before i know what I have.. ive been comparing as many pics as i can, the bed has this number stamped in it (33804) and I cant cross reference it to any manufacturer yet..

Would a south bend 9" tail stock fit? I measured 4.6" from chuck center piece to nearest rail so i think its safe to assume this is a 9" swing lathe yes?

Also will a generic lantern style tool holder from any (vintage) make also fit? Trying to get an idea of what brand parts I need -

Def a variable speed motor, tool holder and tailstock with the point -

Hi guys - thanks for the replies.. yes it seems they put ona v belt spindle, but im hard pressed to look for parts before i know what I have.. ive been comparing as many pics as i can, the bed has this number stamped in it (33804) and I cant cross reference it to any manufacturer yet..

Would a south bend 9" tail stock fit? I measured 4.6" from chuck center piece to nearest rail so i think its safe to assume this is a 9" swing lathe yes?

Also will a generic lantern style tool holder from any (vintage) make also fit? Trying to get an idea of what brand parts I need -

Def a variable speed motor, tool holder and tailstock with the point -

Can't say whether or not it's a SB 9 but if it were me, I'd get a small 3 phase motor and put a VFD on it for your speed control. May very well be what the person who modified it had in mind. Just about any toolpost will fit as the compound has a standard T-slot just need the right size for the swing of the lathe. You could put a lantern post on it or I believe an AXA sized quick change toolpost would fit. Personally I prefer quick change posts to a lantern.

Teryk

Lantern posts suck, if on a budget find a cheap 4 sided post, or just get an import AXA quick change. It is not a 9" Logan, I have one. For basic testing any old 110v motor with a small pulley should work, but due to small pulley on spindle rpm's will be high. Either find correct pulley, or go DC or vfd.

ok gr8 info thanks - ill see what I can find for tool post.. Might install a basic optical rpm indicator - I have the motor so will see if a variable speed controller will work.. I have a friend who rebuilds motors who might help choose the right thing..

The tool post iirc measure 1" in the upper gap.. was going to get a lantern but ill pass!

Also - havign a REAL hard time finding out what tailstock will fit, will a 9" south bend tail stock fit? Im worried about buying a tailstock and it doesnt work :0

I can deal with the motor issue, glad I can look for a generic tool post, but tailstock is throwing me a bit, id like to have a live center.. That would get me going!

Off to swap meet later to grab a bunch of HSS bits I can grind and experiment on -

Seems there are ALOT more 10" parts online, if you can recommend anything on ebay please post, aching to get this thing spinning :)

Ill see if I can find a metal box I can modify as a gear cover -

How about this?

NICE ORIGINAL SOUTH BEND 9" LATHE TAILSTOCK W/ CLAMP COMPLETE ASSEMBLY | eBay
s-l500.jpg

Savedbygrace: (Like the handle, BTW)

My 2 cents is that the tailstock will probably fit, maybe ask the seller to measure the distance from the center of the v-groove to the center of the surface that rides on the front flat way and compare with yours. Seems like a decent enough deal for $115 with shipping, besides it's "returnable". The clamp may or may not fit, but should be easy to modify if necessary.

The double-v ways that the carriage rides on is a nice feature, but I don't believe this lathe ever had a gearbox, unless by that you meant the cover. The lead screw reverser is there, but from the pics you posted, there are no change gears, plus the sliding arbor that rides in the slot is missing. A full set of change gears might run a few hundred $.

Then there is the possible issue of the spindle bearings, as first mentioned by johnoder. New babitt bearings can be poured, scraped, and "run in" if you are willing to give it a try (never done it myself...yet). Before that of course you will need to slow the spindle RPM way down with a jackshaft & pair of cone pulleys, or VFD setup.

It is, or was, a nice little flat belt driven lathe. Just be aware that you are in for a bit of a project.

Best Regards,
Brian

Afull set of change gears would be nice, but as mentioned, they are stupidly expensive, odds are you could buy another lathe with change gears for less. I would suggest just getting the arbor that slides in slot and gears for fine feeding and forget about the gears for threading. My Logan came with full set of change gears (first lathe I've owned without a QC gearbox), I find changing gears is a royal pia. I'm going to set it up with a tap driver and die holder for threading and just leave it on fine feed gear. As long as you are not working on long parts, you can get by without a tailstock, but you will need one to use the tap driver and die holder.

Back