What's new
What's new

Just Bought a Sidney Model 32 16" - Anything Stick Out To You

Nemesis

Aluminum
Good afternoon everyone,
I just purchased a Sidney Model 32 16" lathe on an auction (pick it up on Friday). Curious if anything sticks out to you from the auction pictures that I should check out or be aware of when I get it home before firing it up. It was located in a home shop in a garage. I believe the owner passed. I am unsure of its history, so wanted some more educated eyes to give it a once over. A few questions off the top of my head.
* The stats in the brochures for these put motor horsepower between 5 and 15. Any guesses what is common on them. May need to upgrade my rotary phase converter.
* What is the added "shelf" above the taper attachment? I haven't seen this on other models that I have seen online.

Thank you for your help!

My Sidney - Auction - 01.jpg

My Sidney - Auction - 02.jpg

My Sidney - Auction - 03.jpg

My Sidney - Auction - 04.jpg

My Sidney - Auction - 05.jpg

What is the added "shelf" above the taper attachment?

Rear mount tool station if you refer to the extra piece on cross slide.

The tools are upside down back there

Example of front and rear tools on L&S Duomatic

scan01.jpg

Nice heavy duty machine. Lots of low speed selections. Looks like the last owner had too much time on his hands, but didn't get to the tailstock. That is kind of an indication of the life it led befor its previous owner.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

Another question. Do you think the top handle in this picture, closest to the way is a lead screw reverse?

My Sidney - Auction - 09.jpg

From what I have found on other machines, if this was the toolroom version it would have had a lead screw reverse coming out of approximately where that handle is connected to a rod that connected to a handle on the carriage.

Sidney Brochure - Carriage.jpg

Sidney Brochure - Carriage - 02.jpg

The carriage on this one appears to be sealed and not to have had a lead screw reverse rod as well as there does not appear to have been a rod holder at the end of the bed, but yet it still has a handle on the headstock in what appears to be the lead screw reverse position.

My Sidney - Auction - 16.jpg

My Sidney - Auction - 07.jpg

My 20" brochure has that lever on the HS - so I suppose it could be a means of reversing lead screw - what is not known is IF the single tooth clutch business is still in the head stock assy when such a reverse is not taken out to carriage assy

Monarch happened to keep the important reversing stuff in the HS but has the lever in a much less convenient position on the non LSR models

A way to see what you have is run it in the very slowest speed and finest feed or thread and gently attempt to switch the lever with the spindle running. It will either let you know that is not real smart, or it will just make a single soft CLUNK in reversing screw or feed rod

That's hilarious, I bet it will let me know if it was not a smart move. Thank you for your help! I'll check it out when I get it home and see if I need to upgrade my RPC or not. Have a great day!

That is a lead screw reverse lever. I have a newer model and that is the same. Should be a plate on their some where that says do not reverse above a certain speed funny though they dont have the plate by the lever. I will try to get a picture of mine in the morning. Thats a great lathe you got!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0e877a0a8a7ff61e5d1be92473fa961d.jpg

64a31c7fc69a6c78b63eb4155bb659ab.jpg

Here it is. I do have a full manual for this too. Mine is a “61” year 2013*54. Does yours have the tool steel removable ways on the bed?

Turbowerks, Thank you for the info and pictures, that is extremely helpful! I don't pick the lathe up until Friday, so I will find out then on the ways. I will let you know. From the auction images it appears that it is coming with a full manual, however I may reach out if there is anything missing or if I have questions. Again, thank you for the help!

Anytime[emoji41] your going to love that lathe. I’ve had mine for 20 years or more only thing I’ve ever did was change oil in the head stock along with filter and belts. Mine has the hydraulic shift on it and a electric clutch. Not sure if yours does the speed selector is different , I don’t have a taper on mine but there is a mori cnc right across from it so thats my taper attachment if i need it lol. The Sidney is the go to machine in the shop very accurate lathe. I have a old tracer attachment out in the warehouse I used to run it pretty sure i have all the pieces for it. They were the cat’s pajamas in their day. Should get it out and run it for old times but thats the problem never enough time. Enjoy your new purchase!

Turbowerks, or anyone else that would have the info, I am looking for some dimensions in preparation for the move tomorrow. Any help would be appreciated.

* Overall dimensions - the auction has it listed as 144" x 38" x 55". Looking for an idea on how accurate that length and width are.
* Dimensions on the bases (under headstock and tailstock). i.e. The headstock base where it contacts the floor is 28"x30".
* Dimension (length) from outside end of headstock base to outside end of tailstock base.

Thank you for your help!

Your lathe looks like a very nice machine.
You may be quite used to moving machinery and know that lathes have a tendency to be top heavy and tip easily even though yours looks like it has a relatively heavy wide base .
I'm a bit late with this but just in case you haven't seen them here are a couple of links to threads where other lathe have been moved using a skid under them to add stability .
This one appears to be a smaller Sidney than yours but the pictures don't show up well now
Sidney 14x72
Brian made a similar one here and the pictures are more visible here .
London Machine Tool Lathe Brought Home
Joe Michaels had written about moving lathes using a similar method in other threads but I can't find them at the moment .
There may be some information in the manual on how to lift the lathe with a crane if you happen to have one available ,
It may show show where to sling it from or there may tapped holes where lifting eyes can be screwed in to the machine .
I have attached a couple of scans from a LeBlond book I have here.
The details for yours will be different but they give an idea .
Regards,
Jim

Attachments

• Image (449).jpg
    Image (449).jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Image (448).jpg
    Image (448).jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 32
Nice score! Looks to be in excellent shape. On the 16" versions, if it has the leadscrew reverse, then the carriage reverse is locked out by means of a peg. Which has the added disadvantage of not allowing you to reverse feed over 140 RPM.

Back