What's new
What's new

K.O. Lee Workhead advice

leeko

Stainless
Hi all,

Edit: model is B893

I picked up a K.O. Lee powered workhead for my T&CG, and am starting to try to figure it out. I haven't found a manual, and actually very few references to it online. I'm hoping to pick brains of someone who knows these, or someone who knows old motors in general.

- It has 4 adjuster thingies, 2 on the front just behind the inboard bearing and 2 on the back just in front of the outboard bearing. What do these do?

- there's a tall cap on the front of the unit, just above the nameplate. I looked inside and it's bone dry in there, but there does appear to be a gear or 2. Should I fill this point with gear oil?

- there are 2 slotted screw plugs on the top of the unit, around where the bearings should be. When I unscrew these, all I see is copper. Are these oiling points? A light spindle oil here?

Thanks in advance

Lee
3dff642552b210e78eed54dc78e1707d.jpg
50f0499f64350a4016ada617f24a799a.jpg
31de5a4ab8cbf3822e9ea5076ef8820f.jpg
27d76f7fb3dd8e44fd885f86aa3ab957.jpg
a81d8fd9c7740cf2e7923183ab081128.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Very highly accurate plane bearing work head, looks like yours went dry and so the spindle looks rusted..Would not spin it looking like that. Thought the bearings were bronze,simple brushes motor. I have one out in the shop but haven't used it much,perhaps not at all.
*If your are up to it yours should have a tear down and cleaning. and a good quality 4jaw chuck. Perhaps that in ab independent 3 jaw, good if so.

Not so long ago LeBlond had parts diagrams for K.O. Lee machines including many older ones on their web site but the link I had saved no longer works .
Unfortunately I didn’t download any that would cover the machines I own but they may still be able to send you some information .
I have an older grinder and the parts list for it but it I think it predates your work head by a few years so I can’t answer your question .
This page doesn’t display well on my system but you could try to contact them .
K.O. Lee – OEM Parts - LeBlond Ltd.

If no one else posts here you could also try a post on the Abrasive Machining section of this forum to see if anyone has had one of these apart or has the parts breakdown .
Regards,
Jim

Old thread but here goes...I just picked up one of these B893 work heads in need of a little attention. Curious if you know what the taper is on the spindle. My guess is B&S or Morse Taper.

Thanks,
Ryan

I think you could order them with either a #5 Morse Taper or Something like a # 12 B&S.
I think the Vintage Machinery site will have that info.
I will look later when I am at my computer if you don’t find it.
Jim

I'm pretty they could come in 3 tapers
5MT, 11 BS, and 12 BS

Many tool guys preferred the KoLee accessories because they were highly accurate and lighter weight than the Cincinnati stuff. The KoLee sensitive work head felt like an air spindle so could run end-mill ODs with not using air.
Super accurate often closer than .0002

Last edited:
The many accessories that came with my K.O. Lee B960 Grinder have B&S 11 tapers and a removeable B&S. 11 to 5C adapter. I learned that from the members here including Michiganbuck and I appreciate it.

Joe

Both the motorized head and non-motorized work heads I have had no. 11 B & S tapers. It's short with an approximate diameter of 1.500" at the face of the spindle.

Back