What's new
What's new

K&T 3HP No.2 Model CE info needed

Froneck

Titanium
I have the K&T (Milwaukee) 3HP No.2 Model CE Horizontal Mill. I would like to power a rotary table. I can look in the hole where the feed shaft would be if one was included and can see a spline rotating when the spindle is turning. A 5/8" shaft will fit thru but 3/4 enters but is stopped by the spline. So I assume it has the feed available. Anyone know that the spline size is? Looks to be 6 splines. I thought of making a soft wood shaft papered and hitting it in the end to check the spline requirements.

I know about the gear box and it's connection. I had a No.2K Universal with V.Head attachment, rotary table and dividing head. I have a few dividing heads that have input shafts so I can connect to the feed though they are usually connected to a low lead attachment for spiral milling. If I can find a spline shaft to fit the spline in the drive gear I can make all that is required. My intention is to machine 1-1/4" DOM tube 3/4"ID to 1" OD X 1.062 fastest way possible with as little of presents required.

Look at page #4 in the link John provided. It gives you the dimensions of the spline required for your machines auxiliary shaft drive gear.

K&T also offered right angled gear boxes to power a RT or DH. I’ve seen them come up for sale once in a while.
Page #34 in this link gives you examples of the same aux. shaft used in other machines.
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2098/6636.pdf

Andy

I have the K&T (Milwaukee) 3HP No.2 Model CE Horizontal Mill. I would like to power a rotary table. I can look in the hole where the feed shaft would be if one was included and can see a spline rotating when the spindle is turning. A 5/8" shaft will fit thru but 3/4 enters but is stopped by the spline. So I assume it has the feed available. Anyone know that the spline size is? Looks to be 6 splines. I thought of making a soft wood shaft papered and hitting it in the end to check the spline requirements.

That gear is the one that powers your auxiliary shaft for low lead attachment or drive bracket for rotab as it turns independently from the table screw..

Page 32 here: Kearney & Trecker Co. - Publication Reprints - Workholding Attachments and Accessories - Catalog | VintageMachinery.org

See how many machines share the same part number when it comes to the auxiliary shaft...Maybe this will narrow it down some and someone will have a shaft they can measure for you..I have a 2hl that I installed a low lead on years ago so I installed that shaft but never measured it....Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

If you open the clutch pulley door, (the big one), there are some splined power feed rods that run vertically. Does one of these rods match the spline you need? If so, let me know quick. They are scrapping out a K&T #2 at work, and I could snag the feed rods for you. Let me know.

--Doozer

Back