What's new
What's new

Kearney-Trecker 2HL plain horiz mill clutches problem

Cannonmn

Stainless
Checking out this older mill, everything but the rapid traverse seemed to work. We tried adjusting it per the manual and wound up with rapid traverse only, which didn’t require raising the r.t. Lever, all table movement power feed levers caused only rapid traverse. There is no feed at normal speed any longer. We tried backing out the adjustments we’d made but That lost all normal feed motion. We made the adjustments per the manual, on the rapid traverse clutch assembly, pictured. We pulled the locking pin out, then turned the big brass nut one hole at a time, allowing the pin to snap back into each hole around the clutch wheel, then tested the results. Suggestions?DC5891E4-ED1B-4C43-8BC0-E92E30AA10EE.jpgD288E4FF-A4DB-4AC1-BCC9-5F3097410B97.jpg6EFE373C-B5C4-43FA-9D18-A95F2C7E732C.jpg

Thx John, the second one has much better exploded views than older one I was using.

Will check more things today.

Resumed adjustment today and got all directions of power feed working ok, but using knee power feed caused a couple ounces of oil to come down the knee support column. Will look in 1951 parts manual to see if there’s an obvious gasket or oil seal that’s bad. But even if I could get a new part, the knee doesn’t look like it is too easy to open up. So most likely I’ll do without power knee motion or jerry-rig an oil-collecting donut thing going around the knee support column. The one rapid traverse function we didn’t get was “knee up rapid.” We heard the rapid traverse system kick in upon raising the r.t. Lever, but the knee wouldn’t go up in rapid. We looked for the rapid traverse slip clutch described in the manual but didn’t find it. We’re not sure there’s any way to adjust it even if we found it. Photos.DEA134C2-1BCD-4AF8-BD1D-0185C13B5DF2.jpg3CF4D88F-949E-4E41-A071-8F589E06F3BA.jpgDEA134C2-1BCD-4AF8-BD1D-0185C13B5DF2.jpg573AD71B-CF3F-4285-8654-45B223ADF3C9.jpg6B3ACF84-9510-4213-A068-6B678B333059.jpg

Last edited:
So a little looking in the 1951 parts manual, link provided by the always-helpful John Oder, shows detail of the likely suspects in the oil leakage problem. It’d take us a week to move thing to a proper workspace, disassemble front of the knee, etc. A week we don’t have, with no guarantee we could fix it once disassembled. So I’m thinking we’ll just do a few-hour neat jerry-rig to collect the oil before it gets to the base, then filter and recycle it when a few gallons accumulate. Photos from manual from Vintage Machinery site.5F7DE9ED-B7C3-49EA-B11E-80C0B622AA59.jpgAFA909F9-8D88-455A-A66D-6E0B954BBB44.jpg

My K&T machines leaked oil from the vertical support.. I don't think there is a seal in there and the oil is just what has accumulated over time and when you lower the knee, the oil is forced out....Just let it come out and put some good cutting oil in the coolant sump and you are all set as far as that goes...Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

Just like Ramsay says, Oil is constantly pumped to the vertical screw and fills up the tube.
When lowered it displaces the oil. I keep a bunch of paper towels on the base around the tube to soak it up instead of having it go into the sump because I don't use flood coolant or cutting oil.
Trying to raise the knee with rapids is the weak link. The knee is just too heavy for that on this machine.
I never use power feed or rapid on the knee. That's what the long handle is for.
Greg.

Then if you are lucky enough to have the 2CH with the "hydraulic knee" it dribbles all over in the same area - thank goodness for used paper towels and paper napkins - and a burn barrel. :D

This may not apply, but my old KT wouldn't rapid until I discovered the motor was running the wrong way.

I was working on an Abene horizontal with a coolant pump that wouldn't pump anything. Noticed the rotation was reversed, flipped a pair of phases but forgot to redirect the nozzle and got a lap-full of old coolant when I hit the button :)

Just like Ramsay says, Oil is constantly pumped to the vertical screw and fills up the tube.
When lowered it displaces the oil. I keep a bunch of paper towels on the base around the tube to soak it up instead of having it go into the sump because I don't use flood coolant or cutting oil.
Trying to raise the knee with rapids is the weak link. The knee is just too heavy for that on this machine.
I never use power feed or rapid on the knee. That's what the long handle is for.
Greg.

My 2hl universal has no problem at all raising and lowering the knee under power or rapid traverse...Your safety clutch may be getting weak...Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

My 2hl universal has no problem at all raising and lowering the knee under power or rapid traverse...Your safety clutch may be getting weak...Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

Same here. :cheers:
I use the 3 rapids and power feeds on my 2CHL and my 3CH daily without any issues. After being spoiled for so long, I couldn’t imagine using the machines without it....especially the rapid on the 2D.

Andy

Thx, I read in the manual about the safety clutch and the long roundabout description of where it was. I also looked in the parts manual nothing jumped out and said “here, tighten this.” Also the models y’all mention aren’t zakly same one as I have so maybe there’s a difference. If anyone has found a way to adjust the safety clutch, lemme know. We adjusted the rapid traverse clutch and we can live with the limitations mentioned above, but it’d be nice if...

Same here. :cheers:
I use the 3 rapids and power feeds on my 2CHL and my 3CH daily without any issues. After being spoiled for so long, I couldn’t imagine using the machines without it....especially the rapid on the 2D.

Andy

I can tell you all about the rapid on a 2d or rather the lack of one... An old K&T employee once told me that was a major complaint about the early 2d mills and anyone who has used one without power knee lift can vouch for it...Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

Back