What's new
What's new

Kearney & Trecker Attachments

EarlF

Cast Iron
Does anyone out there have an interest in the following Kearney & Trecker items:

Slotting Head for horizontal with 5" overarms

Arbor Support for horizontal with 5" overarms

High Speed Head for horizontal with 4" overarms

Located in Santa Paula, CA 93060 and will likely go to scrap in next few days.

Will try to post pictures and lot/serial numbers tonite:

Does anyone out there have an interest in the following Kearney & Trecker items:

Slotting Head for horizontal with 5" overarms

Arbor Support for horizontal with 5" overarms

High Speed Head for horizontal with 4" overarms

Located in Santa Paula, CA 93060 and will likely go to scrap in next few days.

Will try to post pictures and lot/serial numbers tonite:

Arbour support is pretty much OEM machine and no-other.

BOTH heads, OTOH, it would be tragic to see scrapped, partly because they CAN be adapted to many other horizonals - even ones not as heavy as the K&T's.

And nobody makes present-day equivalents as stout. if at all.

I already have one-each of their cousins, adapted by a previous owner to a USMT "Quartet" mill, 5 HP, 40-taper, a modest 5,000 lbs and a bit. So adaptation ain't just "theory", nor even all that hard to do.

Somebody on, or near, the Left Coast should grab these, even if only to stash them for moving-on to a new home, later.

HEAVY bastids, both, but they otherwise don't take up a great deal of space, nor rot for lack of refrigeration like other kinds of "USDA Choice" beef.

:)

Vertical Head 28-6773

Attachments

• 147.jpg
    147.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 191
  • 142.jpg
    142.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 145
  • 143.jpg
    143.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 170
  • 157.jpg
    157.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 145.jpg
    145.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 143
Lot of 35 for 2K, 3K and 4K completed May 1952

FWIW-not-much, John looked mine up several years ago. Older ones. War Two wear probable, IIRC.

Your ones wudda missed about half even of the Korean War production push, then seen NC/CNC gradually move them off the mainstream, sooner than mine.

Good chance these have much less wear.

Not that they are anywhere CLOSE to "fragile". K&T, after all.

High Speed Attachment???

Not sure what this is and cannot find anything saying K&T. A check of the attachment points indicates that it should fit the same machines as the other attachments. I can't say for sure what it is but it looks at least similar to the pictures I have seen of the High Speed Attachment.

Perhaps someone out there with more knowledge can help identify.

Attachments

• 139.jpg
    139.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 167
  • 138.jpg
    138.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 152
  • 141.jpg
    141.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 155
  • 136.jpg
    136.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 158
  • 140.jpg
    140.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 143
High Speed Attachment???

Not sure what this is and cannot find anything saying K&T. A check of the attachment points indicates that it should fit the same machines as the other attachments. I can't say for sure what it is but it looks at least similar to the pictures I have seen of the High Speed Attachment.

Perhaps someone out there with more knowledge can help identify.

Seems so. My "normal" one is 40-taper drive and 40-taper spindle, angle capability in between, and right massive.

There's at least one link on PM to a brochure with the whole line of K&T heads.

Earl ,
I don't know that it is often used with the rotary table unless for a circular rack but some machines have a dividing plate and gearing that attach to the lead screw to advance the table according to the pitch of the rack being cut.

Jim

Definitely the milling portion of rack cutting attach. Also came with indexing attach that had a pile of change gears - to effectively control table movement to match circular pitch of rack being cut. Not rotary table related

Rotary table came with a DRIVE that mounted on right end of table - power fed RT via u-jointed shaft

EarlF:

Besides the gear train that Johnoder mentioned, there is usually a long rectangular vise that mounts on the table that holds the blanks
that are to be cut. There is a gib, sometimes several, depending on the length of the vice, for clamping the blank. The depth of the vise
is fairly shallow to allow the cutter to clear it when cutting a large variety of rack sizes. When cutting fine pitch racks, it is some
times necessary to shim up the blank to get the necessary clearance.

Hendeyman

Does full use of the Rack Cutting Attachment require a universal machine? If not I can't work out how a curved tooth would be cut without something like a rotary table.

Update for Items:

Slotting Head 23-6651

I'd be interested in part of the slotting head if you are willing to remove the mounting bracket casting and ship the rest. I think I can adapt it to another machine that was never offered with one. I assume that's the driver arbor inserted in the rear view? Is there a 50 taper adapter for that? How long is the max stroke on those?

Back