Kearns S type
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Kearns S type

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Kearns S type

    Hi
    New to the forum . Just recently bought an S type and have been giving it a bit of a refurb . Does anybody else have one tucked away in the garage/ workshop ?

    Gluv 🇬🇧

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,721
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    673
    Likes (Received)
    686

    Default

    Would like to have one ‘tucked away’!

  3. Likes DeSelle liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Australia (Hobart)
    Posts
    4,105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    652
    Likes (Received)
    3297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trigga72 View Post
    Hi
    New to the forum . Just recently bought an S type and have been giving it a bit of a refurb . Does anybody else have one tucked away in the garage/ workshop ?

    Gluv ����
    Yeah I've got one as has one of my friends.

    Lovely machines.

    PDW

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    Yeah I've got one as has one of my friends.

    Lovely machines.

    PDW
    They certainly are !
    I am currently giving mine a bit of a refresh ( strip down paint ) I would really like to get hold of the boring steady but I'm struggling at the moment �� Might have to end up making one I suppose

    Gluv����

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    137
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    22

    Default

    HBM Back Stay Base Build Video 1 - YouTube

    HBM Back Stay Build update - YouTube

    HBM Back Stay Build continuation 2 - YouTube


    Quote Originally Posted by Trigga72 View Post
    They certainly are !
    I am currently giving mine a bit of a refresh ( strip down paint ) I would really like to get hold of the boring steady but I'm struggling at the moment �� Might have to end up making one I suppose

    Gluv����

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    I have seen the build before. I think he dropped a clanger not copying the original design though

    Gluv����

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    137
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trigga72 View Post
    I have seen the build before. I think he dropped a clanger not copying the original design though

    Gluv����
    I agree with your reservations on his design, but do like the idea of using a flange bearing -- only with a though hole and an offset raising screw as in the original.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirt View Post
    I agree with your reservations on his design, but do like the idea of using a flange bearing -- only with a though hole and an offset raising screw as in the original.
    My thoughts exactly

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Australia (Hobart)
    Posts
    4,105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    652
    Likes (Received)
    3297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trigga72 View Post
    They certainly are !
    I am currently giving mine a bit of a refresh ( strip down paint ) I would really like to get hold of the boring steady but I'm struggling at the moment �� Might have to end up making one I suppose

    Gluv����
    First thing I did was take it off the machine and park it on the tooling cabinet. It belongs with the machine so I'd not part with it but I haven't needed to do any line boring type work as yet.

    Ditto the bigger one - the OA model.

    PDW

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    First thing I did was take it off the machine and park it on the tooling cabinet. It belongs with the machine so I'd not part with it but I haven't needed to do any line boring type work as yet.

    Ditto the bigger one - the OA model.

    PDW
    Could I talk you into taking some detail photos with a tape measure in the pic for scale ?

    Gluv

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    6,589
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7026
    Likes (Received)
    3897

    Default

    Those are adorable. It's like the baby kitten of HBM's.

    That outboard support is hilarious. Normal HBM tailstock 2-3 tons. S type 50 lbs. Set it on top the tooling cabinet. Wish you could do that with the big ones.

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    9,251
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1559
    Likes (Received)
    6187

    Default

    You saw them in training schools and colleges in the main but I have seen quite a few in toolrooms. They were very versatile little machines. Named the “ S “ type after Curtis Sparks the designer I believe.

    Regards Tyrone.

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Australia (Hobart)
    Posts
    4,105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    652
    Likes (Received)
    3297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trigga72 View Post
    Could I talk you into taking some detail photos with a tape measure in the pic for scale ?

    Gluv
    Happy to take pix & measurements. Remind me in a month. Due to covid restrictions I'm currently some 1000 nautical miles away from my workshop and have no idea when I'll get back.

    PDW

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Australia (Hobart)
    Posts
    4,105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    652
    Likes (Received)
    3297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    You saw them in training schools and colleges in the main but I have seen quite a few in toolrooms. They were very versatile little machines. Named the “ S “ type after Curtis Sparks the designer I believe.

    Regards Tyrone.
    Mine is the toolroom model with the optimetric scales. It's all in perfect working order and only a few paint chips. They're absolute gems of machines and highly versatile.

    PDW

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Posts
    412
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    478
    Likes (Received)
    133

    Default

    Man I tried to. $600. Too far away and gone well before I could have put my britches on. Ah well.

  17. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    9,251
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1559
    Likes (Received)
    6187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    Mine is the toolroom model with the optimetric scales. It's all in perfect working order and only a few paint chips. They're absolute gems of machines and highly versatile.

    PDW
    Sounds like a training school machine. I went to engineering college on day release for 6 years and I never saw the one in the workshop running or looking like it had been running !

    Regards Tyrone.

  18. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    Happy to take pix & measurements. Remind me in a month. Due to covid restrictions I'm currently some 1000 nautical miles away from my workshop and have no idea when I'll get back.

    PDW
    Will do ! You're a star

    Gluv����

  19. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Australia (Hobart)
    Posts
    4,105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    652
    Likes (Received)
    3297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Sounds like a training school machine. I went to engineering college on day release for 6 years and I never saw the one in the workshop running or looking like it had been running !

    Regards Tyrone.
    Yep it came out of a TAFE college, probably only ever used by a handful of final year apprentices.

    I'd first used one many years earlier and lusted after one of my own. When it came up for auction I knew that either it was coming home with me, or it was going to be VERY expensive for the person who outbid me.

    It doesn't get a lot of use but it's incredibly useful for a variety of jobs. Here I'm using it to bore out a pulley setup off of my metal planer. The bushings were shot and I'd pressed in bronze replacements and now boring them to final size.

    PDW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_2036.jpg  

  20. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    essex england
    Posts
    1,042
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2191
    Likes (Received)
    690

    Default

    S type tailstock isn’t 100lbs
    I have a s type and the tailstock base casting is probably that weight, the whole thing is immensely healthy for a small support for a small machine


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •