What's new
What's new

Kearns S type

Trigga72

Plastic
Hi
New to the forum . Just recently bought an S type and have been giving it a bit of a refurb . Does anybody else have one tucked away in the garage/ workshop ?

Gluv 🇬🇧

Hi
New to the forum . Just recently bought an S type and have been giving it a bit of a refurb . Does anybody else have one tucked away in the garage/ workshop ?

Gluv ����

Yeah I've got one as has one of my friends.

Lovely machines.

PDW

Yeah I've got one as has one of my friends.

Lovely machines.

PDW

They certainly are !
I am currently giving mine a bit of a refresh ( strip down paint ) I would really like to get hold of the boring steady but I'm struggling at the moment �� Might have to end up making one I suppose

Gluv����

I have seen the build before. I think he dropped a clanger not copying the original design though

Gluv����

I have seen the build before. I think he dropped a clanger not copying the original design though

Gluv����

I agree with your reservations on his design, but do like the idea of using a flange bearing -- only with a though hole and an offset raising screw as in the original.

They certainly are !
I am currently giving mine a bit of a refresh ( strip down paint ) I would really like to get hold of the boring steady but I'm struggling at the moment �� Might have to end up making one I suppose

Gluv����

First thing I did was take it off the machine and park it on the tooling cabinet. It belongs with the machine so I'd not part with it but I haven't needed to do any line boring type work as yet.

Ditto the bigger one - the OA model.

PDW

First thing I did was take it off the machine and park it on the tooling cabinet. It belongs with the machine so I'd not part with it but I haven't needed to do any line boring type work as yet.

Ditto the bigger one - the OA model.

PDW

Could I talk you into taking some detail photos with a tape measure in the pic for scale ?

Gluv

Those are adorable. It's like the baby kitten of HBM's.

That outboard support is hilarious. Normal HBM tailstock 2-3 tons. S type 50 lbs. Set it on top the tooling cabinet. Wish you could do that with the big ones.

You saw them in training schools and colleges in the main but I have seen quite a few in toolrooms. They were very versatile little machines. Named the “ S “ type after Curtis Sparks the designer I believe.

Regards Tyrone.

Could I talk you into taking some detail photos with a tape measure in the pic for scale ?

Gluv

Happy to take pix & measurements. Remind me in a month. Due to covid restrictions I'm currently some 1000 nautical miles away from my workshop and have no idea when I'll get back.

PDW

You saw them in training schools and colleges in the main but I have seen quite a few in toolrooms. They were very versatile little machines. Named the “ S “ type after Curtis Sparks the designer I believe.

Regards Tyrone.

Mine is the toolroom model with the optimetric scales. It's all in perfect working order and only a few paint chips. They're absolute gems of machines and highly versatile.

PDW

Mine is the toolroom model with the optimetric scales. It's all in perfect working order and only a few paint chips. They're absolute gems of machines and highly versatile.

PDW

Sounds like a training school machine. I went to engineering college on day release for 6 years and I never saw the one in the workshop running or looking like it had been running !

Regards Tyrone.

Happy to take pix & measurements. Remind me in a month. Due to covid restrictions I'm currently some 1000 nautical miles away from my workshop and have no idea when I'll get back.

PDW
Will do ! You're a star

Gluv����

Sounds like a training school machine. I went to engineering college on day release for 6 years and I never saw the one in the workshop running or looking like it had been running !

Regards Tyrone.

Yep it came out of a TAFE college, probably only ever used by a handful of final year apprentices.

I'd first used one many years earlier and lusted after one of my own. When it came up for auction I knew that either it was coming home with me, or it was going to be VERY expensive for the person who outbid me.

It doesn't get a lot of use but it's incredibly useful for a variety of jobs. Here I'm using it to bore out a pulley setup off of my metal planer. The bushings were shot and I'd pressed in bronze replacements and now boring them to final size.

PDW

Attachments

• IMG_2036.jpg
    IMG_2036.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 53
S type tailstock isn’t 100lbs
I have a s type and the tailstock base casting is probably that weight, the whole thing is immensely healthy for a small support for a small machine

Back