What's new
What's new

Kennedy Benders discovery

jamesmans

Plastic
Hi,

I am in the process of sorting out my father's shed (more of a warehouse really) and have come across a number of pieces of antique machinery. Sadly I am not the enthusiast he was, but wondered if this is the sort of thing people might be interested in seeing - and possibly advising on? IMG_8574.jpgIMG_8575.jpg

This piece weighs around 25kg and is marked Kennedy Benders, West Drayton - not sure if there should be other bits for it!

Thanks!

I have a four volume "Engineering Works Practice" 2000+ pages, published by Newnes c1950.
Volume two has a chapter devoted solely to Kennedy benders.
Its author cannot speak too highly of these superb machines.

What? The author? WH Kennedy.

Thanks for these - yes some of the bits look familar in the diagrams - it's a bit like a giant metal jigsaw puzzle over here. IMG_8582.jpgIMG_8582.jpg - I thought these might be related but they don't really fit.

Ha ha! Thanks for this - I might have the same volume somewhere as well - but not my usual bedtime reading. We do actually have a lot of old books about machinery and woodworking.

IIRC Kennedy's were great for lots of little odds and sods, which if you didn't have the right widget for the application it threw the whole job out.

Those formers and guides and what looks like a tube stop, look like they should fit but without actually being there (not to mention going back over 50 years?? ) I can't really say.

Oh - and just for even more fun, it's possible some of those formers and guides will be for the old imperial plumbing copper tube (BS659 IIRC) and not the modern BS2871 (or whatever they call it this week) metric.

"but not my usual bedtime reading"
What?
When I was a lad we used to get the girls great crested on Scrumpy, Babycham or Cherry B.
I dragged the most comatose bint home once, hoping (my) parents were asleep.
Removed her shoes on the ground floor, maximum noise reduction.
Up the stairs, removing one garment, per staggering step, each.
Enter my bedroom together, she now down to B&P.
Laid her gently on the duvet in the potentially missionary position.
Now time for the pre-coital munching, but the bedroom door was not quite closed.
The landing light suffused though the gap, illuminating my rare six volume biography of Henry Maudslay.
I awakened the lady with a choice photo from volume three.
She did an Ann Packer, I never saw her again.

In the style of Thermite.

In a similar vein to MMB.

Having shall we say ;- lured the female of my desires (suitably lubricated) back to my lair, (NB Sami in semi pissed state)

Pointing to a 0-1 mic on the desk she asked what it was etc etc

I explained and she said something like ''you can measure a like a human hair?''

Can you measure one of mine? she says pulling out a long blonde strand.

Of course, ...and seeing at the mic hovering around the 0.004'' mark, Sami says ''well you're not a natural blonde are you love.''

Another night alone.

Last edited:

Back