What's new
What's new

Keystone Marine Motor Works (Essington, PA)

Greg Menke

Diamond
This old shop was introduced back in July, due to clutter making much of shop inaccessible the photos were less than satisfactory. Previous threads;

Historic Machine Shop Bulit for Marine Engines (thread 2)

Historic Machine Shop Built for Marine Engines (thread 3)

Originally, as discussed in the older July threads, this was the Keystone Marine Motor Works, operating from the late 1800's until the 1930's. Later the building was taken over as something of a garage, but the older equipment was generally not disturbed.

Quite a bit of the clutter has been removed since July which made a survey more reasonable. I was up there last week to buy the Canedy-Otto screw press, examined and photographed what I reasonably could in an afternoon. I created a webpage here;

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/keystone-marine-motor/index.html

Referencing the webpage pics might make discussion a bit easier. This shop is an estate sale situation the seller would like to sell off the machines to good homes, the rest will go the scrapper when the time comes. I am not participating in the sale, my involvement is to help present the machines to increase the chances of them being sold to good homes rather than scrapped.

The executor of the estate is handling the sales/pickup, he has a backhoe on-site to help load though we both have concerns of its capacity for the larger machines. I have his permission to cite the previous threads, likewise putting up the pics in my webpage. If there is interest in purchasing any of the items shown please PM me and I'll relay the message. He might chime in here as well.

Regards,

Greg

This old shop was introduced back in July, due to clutter making much of shop inaccessible the photos were less than satisfactory. Previous threads;

Historic Machine Shop Bulit for Marine Engines (thread 2)

Historic Machine Shop Built for Marine Engines (thread 3)

Originally, as discussed in the older July threads, this was the Keystone Marine Motor Works, operating from the late 1800's until the 1930's. Later the building was taken over as something of a garage, but the older equipment was generally not disturbed.

Quite a bit of the clutter has been removed since July which made a survey more reasonable. I was up there last week to buy the Canedy-Otto screw press, examined and photographed what I reasonably could in an afternoon. I created a webpage here;

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/keystone-marine-motor/index.html

Referencing the webpage pics might make discussion a bit easier. This shop is an estate sale situation the seller would like to sell off the machines to good homes, the rest will go the scrapper when the time comes. I am not participating in the sale, my involvement is to help present the machines to increase the chances of them being sold to good homes rather than scrapped.

The executor of the estate is handling the sales/pickup, he has a backhoe on-site to help load though we both have concerns of its capacity for the larger machines. I have his permission to cite the previous threads, likewise putting up the pics in my webpage. If there is interest in purchasing any of the items shown please PM me and I'll relay the message. He might chime in here as well.

Regards,

Greg

I could use that scaffolding in the 7th photo but the 500 mile drive says no.

Thanks for doing that Greg,

I suspect the planer and lathe will get adopted there are probably lots of little treasures in there but overall looks like a huge mess

Nathan

The treasure for me is the screw press- I love those things. Its cleaned up now, I'm figuring out how to get it into the shop. Its a primitive looking device on the outside the but the thrust bearing setup is more modern than the square head nuts seen on the outside would suggest. The compounding collar bearing is babbitted- sure wasn't expecting that :)

That wooden rack the change gears are stored in. I've seen pictures in old catalogs showing those. Never seen one in existence digging thru all of the old machine shops I've been in over the years. To find one fully intact with gears is probably the only one in existence today. Thanks for sharing Greg.

The condition of the machines boggles my mind- literally NO roof leaks or animal residue destroying everything. Even though the shop hasn't been operating since the 30's the care the Old Guys took with the machines is still evident. Both lathes have the gear racks- and all the gears. I looked at a few of the lathe mandrels- none of them scored and horrible- some light wear as would be expected and otherwise smooth. The dead centers all have clean points, drills reasonably sharp. I put the steady on the Pond lathe to show what it did; all the nuts were just finger snug- ready to set up in a moment no torn up threads and stripped junk to work around...

Thanks Greg for taking the time and coming by the shop once I had a good bit of it cleaned out. While I am aware there is still more to do, for the last 25 years this shop has been used as sort of a garage/storage place for my 'collector' uncle. As I have been cleaning things out and bringing it back to some semblance of a machine shop I invited Greg up to help me better understand what is there, how it ran and he was also quite smitten with a Canedy Otto press.

While I know there is a lot of 'junk' around the shop, the stuff that meant something to my uncle are those of a forgotten generation, the generation that built America. Granted we're not related to the engineers that once ran the shop, my uncle took care of one of the 3rd generation family members and when he passed my uncle purchased the property, machine shop and all. I grew up here as a teenager and while I never saw the machines run I always appreciated what went into preserving this in such good condition. I am thankful for Greg sharing the same vision with me and trying to find good homes to sell the remaining equipment to before we part with this property as it's not something we're keeping long term. For those interested please DM me on here or get in touch with Greg as he has my contact information.

Back