What's new
What's new

Kingston Conley 1/3 HP Bench Grinder

Hello all!

I have been setting up a new workshop space and found the need for a bench grinder - to sharpen chisels and twist bits, wire wheel fasteners, and polish small parts. Due to limited funds I decided to buy used and after a lot of research I came to understand that the grinders of old were generally more reliable and better built than the newer (lower cost) grinders today. This leads me to buying a 1/3 HP Kingston-Conley 6" bench grinder. I picked it up for $30 and it runs quiet and smooth. I am debating rewiring the power chord as I am a little skeptical about the current one and am also wondering if anyone can decode the serial number to give an idea of when it was made! According to the vintage machinery website that I'm sure you are familiar with, Kingston-Conley made the motors that were used in a variety of grinders sold from around the 30's to the 60's. It is a smooth running machine but I may eventually open it up and see about replacing bearings as I'm sure it wouldn't hurt due to its age! for $30 I could have bought a new Harbor Freight grinder, but judging by the weight of this unit, I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is better built :DView attachment 284161View attachment 284162View attachment 284163View attachment 284164View attachment 284165View attachment 284166View attachment 284167View attachment 284168View attachment 284169View attachment 284170

In the big picture, everything man-made eventually returns back into the original elements it came from. There are a few exceptions like if you made a sword out of pure copper.

My 10 inch grinder had a power cord with disintegrating black hood. So I replaced it, big deal.

Back