What's new
What's new

Klopp shaper

graham.moyses

Plastic
Hi all, I'm hoping that someone may know something about this recently aquired shaper. It's obviously of German origin, being made in Solingen, but apart from that I cannot find any info on it. Age wise it looks relatively modern. It's friction drive, has a 22" stroke, 3 speed gearbox and all looks in great condition. We got it wired up to check that it works, and once we overcame the lazy coil that wouldn't hold the contactor in, it ran fine. I'm curious about the friction drive. Is this unusual? Also any idea on the age?

Thanks, Graham.

Photo showing the friction drive.

Driveview.jpg

Photo of the business side.

Frontview.jpg

Photo of the other side.

Sideview.jpg

Klopp is the most common shaper brand in Germany. They turn up regularly on German eBay. Heavy machines, I don't think I've seen one under 800 kg.
By the way, they still exist, but don't make shapers anymore:
http://www.klopp.de

Benta.

Yoy have a neat shaper and I wish that it was in my collection!!!!! I have a hendey friction shaper. It would be neat to see how yours worked. Shaperhaven:drool5:

Thanks Benta. This one is certainly heavy, but I don't think would be quite 800kg. Getting it on and off the trailer took a bit of thinking about and care though. Shaperhaven, we will hopefully have it wired in permanently and going in the near future. I'm looking forward to seeing it in action.
Graham.

I have a 425(mm) model made in 1950. Its smaller than your's and is 1 tonne. Contact Klopp with the model and machine number and get a copy of manual of them. My machine work but has no clapper box, in process of making it.

Thanks Benta. This one is certainly heavy, but I don't think would be quite 800kg. Getting it on and off the trailer took a bit of thinking about and care though. Shaperhaven, we will hopefully have it wired in permanently and going in the near future. I'm looking forward to seeing it in action.
Graham.

I have also a Klopp shaper - what a great machine!

You propably saw the photo of my shaper in the Shapers-topic, but here goes again... Your Klopp is longer stroke version:
2779132960105979787S600x600Q85.jpg

Good luck!

Hi Lanza, you're right about the weight. It's well over a 1000kg. We think about 1500kg, but that's a guess. We got it loaded and unloaded from the trailer using a bomb hoist from WW2, designed for loading bombs into Lancaster bombers. I'll try contacting Klopp for a manual.

CP, very nice looking machine. I missed it in the shaper thread, which suggests my powers of observation are about as good as my weight estimating ability!

I'll post some detail pictures in the next day or so, as a closer examination shows a couple of things that I'm unsure about.
Graham.

Thought I'd add some more

I have some photos of when I was doing repairs to my shaper.
The four bolts that hold the box table to the cross slide were bent, the reason was because the hole are not spot faced and have high spots.
P9130105.jpg

Long MT#5 spot tool I made for the job, it has interchangeable head that will bolt off if I need to make different sizes. It takes a piece of square tool steel in the end so it has two cutting edges with a pilot on the end to locate the hole.
P9130106.jpg

P9130101.jpg

New M12 bolt were made from 4140, they should last for years.

Back