What's new
What's new

KR Wilson 760-H Press Help

lomike7

Plastic
I picked up a new shop press for the garage. It is leaking from jack cylinder and I am looking for any type of manuals or parts list for a rebuild. It is an H frame press but on the tag it is stamped Arbor Press. I can not find any info on this unit. I have failed to find another picture of this style press. I have contacted devin mfg by phone and email with no response. I guess corona virus still has New York on lock down. I have also checked KR Wilson tools with no help. Anybody got an idea of what its worth? I may have overpaid, but I didn't want to go buy a modern day 60 ton press. Press Jack and Cylinder Numbers are shown in the pics. Thanks for the help! Michael Reinhardt

Attachments

• Press2.jpg
    Press2.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Press7.jpg
    Press7.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Press5.jpg
    Press5.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 78
  • Press1.jpg
    Press1.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Press3.jpg
    Press3.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 62
This is a much newer press than most, K.R. Wilson started making these prior to WW2. Most are fabricated out of bar stock where yours is channel iron. I've never seen any documentation for for anything this new. I rebuilt my 1940s era 60 ton press hand pump with parts from McMaster. Just simple pump packing. I'd take the pump off and dissemble it and see what it looks like.

This is a much newer press than most, K.R. Wilson started making these prior to WW2. Most are fabricated out of bar stock where yours is channel iron. I've never seen any documentation for for anything this new. I rebuilt my 1940s era 60 ton press hand pump with parts from McMaster. Just simple pump packing. I'd take the pump off and dissemble it and see what it looks like.

I saw one like you are describing go for 200 bucks at an auction one time.. I started to bid on it but I had already won some stuff and as the story of my life goes, I was short on cash... The press had an arbor press on one side... I often wish I had it today.. Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

I had some extra time today and I disassembled the pump assembly and cylinder assembly. I found cylinder to be a piston cup seal and 2 o-rings. The jack assembly has O-ring Loaded cup seals and Control handles have o-rings. The o-ring loaded cup seals were completely disintegrated and the o-rinds might have well been leather. Jack cylinders rods and cylinder rod have been polished and ready to reassemble. I ordered all the parts per dimensions, hopefully I didn't miss anything. I will post a part sheet when I verify all items fit. Thanks for the help. Time to go strip some paint!

Sounds like typical polyurethane hydraulic packings .......the poly -U disintegrates into crumbly grit over time ......I have had this happen in blister pack sealed Caterpillar hydraulic seals ...NOS never opened ,yet the parts could be crumbled up with a finger tip.......Ive seen claims it also happened in one type of jetliner ,and scrapping the planes was cheaper than a rebuild.

Seems like you got everything covered. If your local hydraulic supply doesn't stock or can't get what your looking for you can try these guys. Good inventory and prices
Baum Hydraulics
baumhydraulics.com
402-345-4122

A 50 ton press like that for $200 is a gift ...here you would pay ten times that much for a useful ,much sought after item like that........I also note it has special rolled channels ,the webs are much thicker than a normal section........When I made presses ,extra plate had to be welded into the channel webs to prevent crushing and distortion.

Back